𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟺𝟸: 𝙱𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚠𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚁𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚐𝚎

"So, where exactly are we going again?" Steve asked for the umpteenth time as the trio sat in silence in his BMW

"So, where exactly are we going again?" Steve asked for the umpteenth time as the trio sat in silence in his BMW. He had heard the answer several times but he still couldn't register it. Or didn't want to.

"The Lab," One answered calmly, her eyes glued to the dreary scenery passing by outside the passenger window.

"And why are we going there again?" Steve asked. He was trying to keep a brave face to impress One but his leg that wasn't on the gas pedal was trembling.

"Hopper might be in trouble," Eleven answered next from the back seat and Steve's eyes darted up to the rear-view mirror to catch her concerned gaze.

One turned to look at Steve, who was in the midst of chewing his lower lip like a piece of gum, and rested a hand on his. "Thanks for giving us a ride," she said with a warm smile in an attempt to calm his nerves.

"N-no problem," Steve stammered, returning the smile. He wrapped his fingers around hers and gave her hand a soft squeeze. Their hands remained this way until they reached the Lab.

The three sat silently in their seats after Steve parked the car as they stared up at the ominous building looming before them. Each had their own terrible memories of the place but it seemed to hit One the hardest. She had been there recently before she stayed with the Byers', but seeing it from a distance through a fence and seeing it up close were two different things. It had been a long time since she had been this close to the place that had imprisoned her for almost half her life and a shiver ran through every bone in her body.

Once she took some deep breaths and collected herself, One turned in her seat to face both Steve and Eleven. "I'm going in alone."

"No you're not!" both Steve and Eleven shouted in unison.

"We don't know what's in there," One argued. "Brenner could have gotten out, or maybe something even worse. I don't want to risk losing you two."

"Bullshit!" Eleven yelled, eliciting a look of surprise from both One and Steve. She was getting sick and tired of One's constant need to risk herself. "I'm glad you're my big sister and I know you're just trying to protect me but I'm not a baby. I have powers too and I've used them against Brenner before. I'm not scared and I'm not letting you go alone. He's my dad too!"