12. Matteo

The impostor jumped out of her seat and hastily tugged the mask over her head. "You are mistaken. This is but a dream," she said, even as her brown hair cascaded out from under the disguise and flowed over her shoulders.

Matteo tried to stand, but he rose too quickly and wavered.

"Sit at once!" commanded the girl, rushing over. "You are in no state to—"

She didn't get to finish the admonishment before tripping over her cloak. Her landing was soft as the rug caught her knees, followed by her extended palms.

"I am no more asleep than you," Matteo said, slightly amused at the folly before him. "Now, I will give you a chance to explain yourself, but only if you stop this charade and reveal your true identity."

Sitting back on her heels, the pretend doctor paused as if weighing her options. Unlikely to have found any other, she relented.

As the grotesque leather mask came off, Matteo inadvertently gasped. With this closer proximity and better angle of light, he had a much better view of the intruder sitting on his salon floor. And while he was certain he had never seen her before, he was positive that he wanted to see her again.

The girl looked to be around his age, maybe slightly younger. Her large, dark eyes were unlike any he'd ever seen, giving off an aura of pride, curiosity, and compassion all at once. Her nose was thin and bold, while her lips underneath formed a perfectly defiant pucker. Matteo found himself staring way too long at them, wondering how they'd feel underneath his own mouth. Yet whether from the weight of illness still over his mind and body, or if from his own carnal desires, he also didn't want to look away.

"Will you have me arrested?" asked the girl as she wiped a dark lock out of her eyes.

Matteo couldn't immediately answer. He was still so shocked at the revelation that he hadn't even considered his next move. After a moment to gather his thoughts, he leaned back on the sofa and motioned for the girl to sit across from him.

"Please. Make yourself comfortable," he said, gesturing to the other piece of silk-covered furniture.

She hesitated again before acting, proving her continued distrust. Yet once more, she eventually complied with the request. When she was properly settled, he continued. "What is your name?"

The girl's eyes narrowed, and he could just imagine her internal struggle in deciding whether to be truthful. The act amused him, but his need to find out more about her was even greater.

"I am Matteo," he offered with a slight bow of his head. "My father is Procurator of Wills, Lorenzo Barozzi."

"I know very well who you are," she said, looking him up and down with a scowl. "Your father sent guards to my home to save you."

"But the guards . . .," began Matteo before realization hit. "Oh, I see. Are you a relation of Augostino Rienzo?"

She nodded. "He is my father, yes."

Matteo hid his surprise. He wasn't aware of the doctor having children, much less one as beautiful as this one. Then again, it was not his business to know. "And why did he not come to my aid? Am I not important enough for the famous plague doctor?" he asked with a cock of his brow.

The girl appeared nervous as her gaze left his face, and her eyes began darting from side to side.

"Forgive me," Matteo said, hoping to calm her. "That was rude of me. I meant no insult."

Her shoulders visibly relaxed. With her focus on the mask in her hands, she took several deep breaths before looking up. "My name is Giovanna," she said while defiantly staring into his eyes. The change in her demeanor was abrupt, but understandable. She had obviously made her decision about whether to be truthful or continue with the lies.