Chapter 38

Song: Hero by Mariah Carey

*Four Years Later* (last big time jump, I promise)

The last few years were probably the happiest of my life. I got to witness Alex grow into an adorable little kid with shining blue eyes and perfect golden ringlets in a mess upon his head. I was there when he said his first word (which was "dada"; I suppose that made up for the whole tie betrayal) and I watched as he took his first wobbly steps, scaring me half to death in the process. I saw him as he became the kind, outgoing, curious boy that made me beam with pride.

Also, everything between America and I was fantastic. Raising Alex together had brought us even closer. There were times when things weren't always smooth sailing, but it was nothing we couldn't handle. I was still wildly in love with her and that would never change.

Even things with Illéa were good. The rebels had become a little more placid as the years went on. They had mostly stopped terrorizing civilians and any attacks in the palace were weak and futile. They hadn't made it inside the palace for a little over two years. Even then, they had been stopped within minutes. In addition, the people were happy with the way America and I were ruling. We still hadn't managed to eliminate the castes, due to extreme resistance from the upper castes, but apparently the effort we were putting in was enough. Our relations with other countries were the best they had been in a long time.

Like I said, everything was great. Of course, all good things come to some sort of an end, don't they?

A hurricane had hit one of our small island allies yesterday. It was a country called Niue, about five thousand miles off of the coast of Angeles. It was so tiny compared to Illéa's population- hardly two thousand people. But it still hit us hard. Many countries had become fond of the island. The people were friendly and, though a small and seemingly unimportant country, had settled many political disputes between some of the more powerful countries with ease. America and I took it a little bit harder than most. We'd taken a brief trip there before Alexander was born and we fell in love with the place.

As a result, us and a group of our advisors were sitting around a long table in a conference room, silently waiting to find out how bad it actually was. America was gripping my hand firmly. She had her eyes shut tightly and seemed to be praying. I think many of us were.

Everyone jumped when the door opened. A guard rushed in and handed me a report. I snatched it anxiously and read it. I felt like weight was starting to build on my shoulders as I absorbed the depressing news. It really wasn't good in Niue.

I placed the papers on the table and sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Maxon," America started, "how bad is it?"

I tried to reply, but I couldn't get the words out as I silently mourned over the losses in Niue. She rubbed my arm comfortingly, but it didn't help. It took me a moment to collect myself enough to explain.

"There are approximately one hundred reported deaths, but an estimated thirty more when you add the unreported deaths. Nearly all homes have been demolished and those who weren't destroyed endured major damage. The coastline is wrecked and most of the crops have been ruined."

A shadow of grief passed over the room. America buried her face in her hands, possibly crying. The advisors' shoulders fell and many stared blankly around the room. I put my arm around America and pulled her closer to me, kissing her forehead and thinking about all of the men, women, and children who lost their loved ones and could no longer do as I was to their deceased friends and family.

It was a few minutes before anyone spoke. An advisor, Hamilton, was the one to break the silence.
"We should probably make a plan for providing aid. With the coast so devastated, it probably will be difficult to get boats out for fishing and with the little to no crop survival, these people are going to need more food very soon. Medical attention facilities should also be set up for those who were injured."

"I completely agree," I said. "We will also have to address the destruction of the houses. We can't let the people be homeless for the foreseeable future."

"I suggest," said Edith, another loyal advisor, "that we send down some of our soldiers to hel with the rebuilding. The need for them has gone down since the rebels have calmed. We definitely have enough men to spare that we will still be able to function properly here."

I nodded, glad that we were finding ways to help. I wouldn't have even considered leaving Niue to fend for itself.

"I have an idea," America said. I gestured for her to speak her mind.

"Perhaps I could go to Niue and help out. I've been wanting to do some community service. I could help with food distribution or aid in rebuilding the houses. I could even help with taking care of the children while their parents are busy. I could teach them music if I brought a few instruments with me."

The advisors seemed to like this idea very much. They all started talking to one another excitedly. I, on the other hand, was a little too wary to agree immediately.

"How long, exactly, would you think is it appropriate for you to stay there?" I asked.

"I would say three months, give or take."

My dislike of that idea must've been very striking because the voices of the others quickly went quiet.

With a hard tone, I said, "America, may I speak with you in the hallway for a moment?"

She looked surprised, but nodded and walked out with me. As soon as the door was shut, I turned to her.

"Three months? Are you serious?"

"Of course. I don't see an issue with it," she replied.

"Well there are plenty of issues with it, I assure you. You can't go for three months. I forbid it."

That really set her off. "You forbid it? Since when can you forbid me from doing something, Maxon?"

"Since now."

"Well, then why? Why do you forbid me from going for three months to help those people?"

I looked away from her. I had felt an instant dislike for the idea, but it took me a bit to realize exactly what my problem was.

"Because... God, I feel stupid now that I'm saying it out loud. Because, what about Alex? Huh? You haven't left the palace since he was born and then you just go for three whole months? How will that affect him?"

I paused. This was the part I felt embarrassed to say out loud. "And what about me? What am I supposed to do without you for three months?"

Her expression softened. She shook her head and smiled at me. America grabbed my arm to pull me closer and then wrapped her arms around my waist. "Both of you will be fine. I'm sure of it. And don't think I won't miss my two favorite guys every single day that I am gone just as much as they'll miss me."

I kissed her on the lips gently before embracing her. "I'll definitely miss you more," I whispered into her ear.

She laughed lightly. "I'm not going to have an argument about who is going to miss who more with you, Maxon. I know we aren't that cliché."

I pulled back with a mild grin, amazed that she always knew what to say to make me smile.

We walked hand in hand back into the conference. I was definitely more open to the idea now. After a while of conferring with the advisors, the decision was made that she would spend the entire summer, which was two months away, in Niue.

I knew it was the right thing to do, but my heart was already aching at the though of spending three months apart. I pushed that feeling down and focused on the good that would come out of this. This was to help the people of Niue and that was the important thing.

.

Okay, so I nearly cried while I was writing this last night. Just thought I'd let you know that.