Chapter 23:I'm Fine

So this chapter is on the longer side. Hope you guys don't mind

Also

⚠️TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️
READ WITH CAUTION

||

Yeonmi woke up before Mark did. She sat up from his lap and watched as he uncomfortably slept upright. Yeonmi positioned herself next to him and slowly moved his body to be in her lap. Mark stayed asleep, he was a deep sleeper after all; only loud noise woke him up.

Their breathing was the only thing that could be heard in the silence. Yeonmi crossed her arms shivering. Mark's jacket had fallen off her shoulders when Jianyu pulled her away and chained her to the ground. The jacket was further away, but since Mark was sleeping she didn't want to move.

Even though she cared about Mark resting, she wanted him to wake up. Jianyu could be back any minute, any second, and she wasn't ready to face him again. She could still feel the pain of the burning wax on her skin. Even though it hurt her, she was glad that it was her and not him.

To keep herself busy, Yeonmi played with Mark's hair. It was something she used to do when they were still friends. The position they were in brought her back to her first year in high school. It was just a day by the river.

Yeonmi and the others were at the river just enjoying the sun and freedom. Jaemin had brought a blanket for all of them to lay on, although it was only big enough for half of them. Yeonmi sat on the blanket while Mark laid his head on her lap, with his body on the grass.

Mark ended up falling asleep as Yeonmi was talki with the others. Everyone else was quick to notice, but Yeonmi had been the only one to not pay attention. She had been playing with his hair unknowingly as well. It was only then did she fully realize her emotions.

A set of emotions that had been there from the start, and a set of emotions that controlled her mind for the next three years; all the way up until New Year's Day. It's been a long journey for her, only for it to all lead her back to where she started.

Maybe it was because Felix left her. Maybe it was because he's saved her multiple times. Maybe it was because he still tried to fight as she was getting tortured. Maybe it was because she would rather have him live than her. Maybe it was because they might die together. Maybe it was because they were trapped together.

It sure as hell wasn't cupid's arrow that hit. But one thing was for sure.

Yeonmi loved Mark, and Mark loved her back.

She stopped playing with her hair for a second and looked at his wrists. They were bloody and bruised from the constant pulling on the chains. It took a while, but Mark eventually woke up.

He couldn't believe it actually. When he opened his eyes he saw Yeonmi looking down on him, he thought he was dreaming since it was the other way around when he fell asleep. He sat up from Yeonmi's lap and situated himself right next to her. Instantly she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"What happens now?"

"We wait until we get saved, or wait to attack." Mark pauses before he said his next sentence, "if anything, you run out and I'll stay back to let you escape."

Mark waited for her to agree, but he got an opposite reaction. It was a softer reaction, no sarcasm, no arguing, just a pure statement.