✞ T E N ✞

CHAPTER TEN ; OFF TO THE RACES

JOHN LAY BACK on his bed watching as Beth fussed over the dress Ada and Polly had picked out for her. It was a pretty grey dress that hugged her body, reaching down to her her mid thigh. It made her look more lady like but Beth felt exposed and like a whore. "You look amazing Beth. Best I've ever seen you look. If you're weren't Tommy's girl i would have already snatched you bloody up by now."

Beth could only laugh, looking over her shoulder and sending a wink to John. "Well as much as I would love to decline you John, I'm afraid I'm no longer Thomas Shelby's girl so I guess you'll have to buy me a wedding ring." She grinned, fixing her dress in the mirror. "Me and Arthur will talk some sense into him Beth, I think he's losing his bloody mind." John threatened referring to Tommy bringing Grace to the races.

Beth had made a heat of moment decision and let Polly 'trim' her hair before she had gone to bed and now it sat just an inch or two below her shoulders, in tight curls. She had stayed in Johns house not wanting to be near Tommy and John has put her into a good mood, both of them staying up and giggling over a bottle of whiskey until the early hours of the morning.

Beth had also borrowed some of Polly's makeup before she had left and she felt like a proper lady, standing dolled up in Johns house. "Do you think Tommy's going to give out to me when he sees my hair?" Beth asked, walking to sit on the end of the bed. "Oi, Don't let him be a sour old man and ruin your mood, you look beautiful." John murmured his hand reaching over to squeeze Beth's.

Beth scooted over on the bed wrapping her arms around John and snuggling into him. "Oh John, what am i going to do when you get married? You'll have no time for your best friend." Beth mumbled laying back into him. John laughed rubbing patterns onto her arm. John opened his mouth to answer but a loud bang at the door caused him to sit up in confusion.

Arthur stumbled through the doors a cheer leaving his mouth and a bottle of whiskey tucked under his arm. "It's racing day!" Arthur shouted. John chuckled standing up and holding his hand to Beth so she wouldn't trip in her big white heels. "Beth." Arthur breathed out his eyes scanning her body. "You look amazing." Beth's face flushed a light red as she let Arthur bring her into a bone crushing hug.

"Right, right enough about me. Let's go to the bloody races boys."

When John had told Beth about his troubles with the Lee boys, she was forced to make her way into the ballroom alone while he sorted business. She made her way directly to the bar taking a glass of champagne off the display and knocking it back before turning around. It wasn't till later in the night she'd realise champagne was to be drank slowly and savoured, instead she drank it the way she'd be taught to drink whiskey or rum. It was no surprise to her to see Tommy dancing in the crowd with Grace however his eyes stayed locked on Beth, a scowl of anger on his face.

He quickly parted from Grace guiding her behind him to the bar and telling her to get them drinks before rushing towards Beth. "Where's John? Your supposed to be with John. If Kimber-." Beth cut him off by a small laugh, reaching for another drink of champagne she stared at him expectantly. "Do you like my hair Tommy? I cut it last night." Tommy sighed, his hand reaching up to brush over Beth's face delicately. "You look amazing. Just go find John and stay with him. Please."

Beth shook her head. "Johns dealing with the business. Am I bothering you? Is me staring at you with her bothering you Thomas?" She grinned, watching his eyebrows pinch in anger. "Beth-." Beth downed her champagne reaching for another glass but he caught her arm. "Enough." They stared each other down for a moment, a silent war of no words but just looks of equal anger. "You lost the right to tell me what was enough when you showed up with another woman. I'm not longer your problem. So really just go fuck off and find her, Thomas."