#40 You're poking me.

I shuffled under the duvet in a sleepy haze, my mom was back, poking me to wake up

"Quit poking me." I said groggily, keeping my eyes closed tight.

"What?" a voice whispered back, equally as slumberous.

"You're poking me." I said again, more irritated this time.

A sudden alacritous movement backwards on the bed made my eyes dart open and my senses came to life. A blast of oud wood and fresh vanilla suffocated my insides bringing me back to the now and I remembered he had stayed the night. With heavy eyes I turned around to face Liam who frantically patted the duvet down between us in an attempt to build a barrier. Messy chestnut hair stuck up in random places all over his head and his cheeks were tinged a beautiful shade of pink, clearly ashamed about something. I've never seen him truly embarrassed before and I found it to be quite endearing.

"I.. uh.." he struggled to get out his words, I watched fascinated as he squirmed with awkwardness. "it's not you... well it could be you... but it's just" blush crept over him even more so as he rubbed the back of his neck. "it happens every morning, to every guy." 

My eyes widened as I realized what he was talking about, my face now mirroring his embarrassment, as bright as it could possibly get. I threw my hands over my face in an attempt to hide from the situation.

"I'm going to go sort myself out." 

"ew!" I screeched in horror.

"With a cold shower Liv." He replied in a straight tone and I can almost hear his eye roll behind my hands. I listened as he shuffled out of my room and closed the bathroom door. 

***

I sat at the breakfast counter tucking into my cereal as Liam pulled up a seat next to me. I didn't look at him for the longest time and the atmosphere between us was so tense. Finally I plucked up the courage to strike up a conversation.

"I'm surprised you stayed the whole night."

"Wish I didn't now" he mumbled under his breath and I knew I wasn't meant to hear that.

I needed to lighten the tone. "I thought my mom was poking me to wake up." I was brave enough to look at him and shoot him a playful smile.

"Oh Liv, don't." he lifted his hand to hide his eyes but he wore a smile on his face like he was amused.  "You mistook my dick for your mom?" I nodded my head and we both burst out laughing, relieved that the awkwardness between us had melted away.

***

"I have to call home first to change my clothes, you wait out here. Don't come in okay?"

"Okay." 

"You Promise?" 

"yeah, just go." 

He looked at me unsure, hesitating to leave but then eventually turned to walk up his path. From the outside his house looked similar to mine, it should since it was only down the street. It appeared older with dull paint work that peeled away in certain areas, missing roof slates and an unkempt garden. I could see yellow tinged curtains hanging in the windows and I figured they were really old and had been exposed to cigarette smoke. Beer cans lay astray over the lawn and there was a broken chest fridge sitting to the right of the path. I got chills just looking at it, this wasn't a happy home.