F e e l i n g s

When Penelope woke up the next morning, she woke with a smile. Memories of the previous night hit her instantly and it made her lips stretch even wider.

Butterflies were permanent residents in her tummy and a flushed tone seemed to overtake her cheeks.

She was happy.

The girl rolled over onto her stomach and winched slightly, now discovering how tender it was down below.

This only made her smile again and squeal into her pillow, needing an outlet for all her energy. She couldn't believe that she was no longer a virgin; she did the deed, she really had sex.

A giggle passed her lips before she sat up and stretched her limbs, a satisfied sigh sounding as she heard her bones crack and pop.

With a skip in her step she made her way to the bathroom and washed her face. She decided to laze around in her pyjamas for a bit longer and headed downstairs to grab breakfast.

"You're up early."

As she jumped down from the second last step, she looked up to see her mother nursing a cup of coffee.

"Really?"

"It's a quarter after ten, so it's quite early for you actually. I'm lucky to see you before noon on most weekends."

Penelope narrowed her eyes at her mother playfully and bounded over to the coffee machine to pour herself a cup.

"Well, today's a different day."

She smiled as she spoke and her mother rose a brow at her unusual spritely behaviour.

"What's got you so smiley this morning sweetie. Should I take a guess?"

A red hue clung to the girl's neck, knowing that her mom used every opportunity possible to bring up Phoenix. She took her full cup and turned to take a seat across from the older woman.

"I went roller skating with my friends yesterday."

"That's a nice outing. I'm assuming you guys enjoyed yourselves."

"Ya we did."

Penelope took a sip of her drink, grinning into the mug. It was an action that was subtle, but her mother easily noticed.

"Was Phoenix there?"

The fawn haired beauty coughed as she swallowed, but shook her head anyway.

"No, he wasn't." She hesitated before continuing. "But he came after to pick me up."

"Mhmm, so that's why you got back late then. What'd you guys do?"

"We drove around for a while and picked up some food at McDonald's. Nothing much really, but it was fun."

A shrug followed her statement, in an attempt to appear blasé. She had rehearsed the words countless times last night; actually, she had fallen asleep to the repetition in her head.

"How romantic" The older woman gushed. "I remember when I had my first d-"

"We had sex."

The words spilled out of her mouth involuntarily and lacked even the smallest bit of finesse. There was a part of her that wanted to have this open conversation with her mother- they were as close as one could get with their parent. And clearly that small part of her was more dominant than she thought.

It was quiet for a moment and Penelope watched her mother carefully, nibbling on her lip in nervousness.

"Were you safe?"