CHAPTER ONE

(Picture is just for her coat)

Water,

Earth,

Fire,

Air,

   My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace, when the Avatar kept balance between Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads but that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

   Only the Avatar mastered all four elements, only he could stop the ruthless firebenders but when the world needed him the most. He vanished.

  100 years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the war.
   Two years ago my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation leaving my brother, my sister and I to look after our tribe.

Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken but a few people haven't lost hope.

But it always just been a story.

•••

   I walked out of the tent with the kids of the village following. The air in the South Pole was dry and cold but we've gotten used to it so we never complained. They all waved with giggles as they ran away, ready to play for the rest if the day.
   I waved to them with a small smile once they were all gone safely leaving me alone, I walked a bit away from our village.

   I walked to a small ditch of snow that also connected to the sea but still surrounded by other mounds of snow, I made sure no one from the village could see me so I picked this spot. Only my older brother Sokka knew that I came out here to practice.
   Right now he was with my younger sister, Katara, fishing. This meant I finally got some alone time. It had been a while since I last practiced, I never really had time to after dad left.

   I began to waterbend a thin amount of water, I was always at peace when I was alone waterbending, or more like I was still learning.

   Typically I would stay with the tribe while my little sister and older brother went fishing. Even though I'm a waterbender I am still afraid of the ocean and what lies in the depths of it, but I was also fascinated by it.

I had to admit although I love the children and watching them grow, they do get rowdy and it's a pleasure to get some peace and quiet away from them.
   I sighed as I pushed and pulled at the waves. I always admired waterbending and I know my sister did as well. Sokka didn't really appreciate it, he would always tease Katara about it and he would especially do it in front of me in order to make fun of me too without making it obvious that I knew how to waterbend even if it was only a small amount.

   I look up to my older brother as surprising as that may be, he was always courages and so was my sister. The reason I really shouldn't be looking up to Sokka was because he was sexist. Katara and I couldn't seem to change that about him no matter how hard we tried, eventually we started bullying him to see how he liked it but never as far to actually hurt him. Sometimes I wish someone would smack the sexism out of him.

   I return my focus to the water and turned the thin line of water into an ice stick with a sharpened tip, my own arrows, I made a few of them, then I made a target far into the sea and turned around inhaling to relax.
   A lot of people from our tribe referred to me as the Ice Queen not because of my bending but because I never get close to new comers. Some people in the village have never seen me smile but a lot of the kids have. It was always talked about amoungst the women in our tribe, they would always bring up how I was emotionless, especially when my mother passed. I never told them how that made me feel because in a way, I shouldn't have to explain myself.
   I shot the at the target and exhaled looking at the bullseye I just made, I was proud of myself but that quickly disappeared when I saw a blue beam of light shooting up into the sky. I dropped the last ice stick watching it sink until it fell beyond the dark blue water, a pout placed on my lips as I got up and watched as the light disappeared. I ran back to the village and found Gran-Gran, just the lady I was looking for.