Ch. 17 - Marked

Song: Far From Home (The Raven) by Sam Tinnesz
Words: 3335
Published: July 1st, 2020
Rayna's POV

I wake up freezing cold to a throbbing pain in my neck. I groan, disoriented.

"Oh. You're awake."

"Naomi?" I ask, confused. I try to open my eyes, but I have to close them due to a bright light.

"Yep. It's me."

I groan again, sitting up and shielding my squinted eyes with my forearm until they adjust. "Where are we?" I look around, not recognizing the red and black bedroom. I was laying in the bed, and Naomi was sitting on the edge, looking at the TV. She wore a white tank top and grey pajama pants.

"This is my bedroom," she informs me, turning around to face me sitting cris crossed. My mind is groggy, my memory a blur. He last clear thing was waking up from that nightmare last night. I move to rub my sore neck, and the moment my fingers touch it, images of Harley flash through my mind, causing me to shiver.

"Harley," I whisper. I turn to Naomi. "Where's Harley? What happened?" I notice the dark sky outside her window. "Wait, what time is it?"

"It's a little past nine," she replies. She then turns back to her TV, ignoring my first two questions. I think hard, trying to remember where the hell the day went, but I just can't.

I rub my neck, trying not to seethe in pain. I clench my jaw, also resisting shivers.

"What the fuck is wrong with my neck?" I mutter, mainly to myself. Naomi glances over her shoulder at me, her neck, grimaces, and looks away. My eyebrows furrow. "Naomi. Is something wrong with my neck?"

She shakes her head but doesn't glance at me again.

"Nope."

I focus my hearing towards her heartbeat, and it's just a little too fast for her to be telling the truth.

"Bullshit," I growl, getting irritated, though I don't know why. My period ended last week, so it can't be that. I never get mad, so something must be wrong. I start to get out of the bed. "Where's the bathroom?" I ask. There's only two doors—one open to reveal a closet, and the other closed towards the inside of the castle, so the hallway. There's no connected bathroom.

"Rayna," Naomi calls, her voice pleading. "Please. Trust me and come watch Glee with me."

I look over my shoulder at her, still just sitting on the edge of the bed, and sigh.

"Fine."

*~* Third Person POV *~*

Half an hour later after eating a large, late supper, Rayna is sitting on the bed wrapped up in a warm, fuzzy blanket. She's unable to pay attention to the show, but Naomi is too deep in it to notice. She keeps trying to remember what happened and continues to rub her sore neck. She's just so confused, and Naomi isn't giving her any answers.

She's been able to recall Harley waking her up early, drawing the sunrise, and eating.

She starts to absentmindedly trace the sore spot on her neck, and she suddenly realizes something. It's like a bite mark.