22: The lineage and the past

A/N: rewritten due to changes in writing style

"It started many, many, many years ago. And like everything else in our world, it started with a wish. The moon goddess' wish. A wish for a better world"

That's how Jinsang started his speech and throughout it, Hani's and Jungkook's eyes, much like everyone else in the room, were wide open in shock, amazement, perplexity at the words the older man uttered.

"True Alphas were handpicked at birth. Only the strongest, the bravest were chosen by her. The parents did not matter, the pack did not matter, physical aspects did not matter. The only thing that our goddess looked at was the heart. A strong beautiful heart. It was the biggest joy to any parent, to any pack, to have a True Alpha amongst them. They were born leaders in every aspect, perfect for ruling a pack and protecting them. With a True Alpha in power, there were no wars, no greed, no hunger. And just like that the concept of packs became a reality. Yes, because before the True Alphas, there were no such things as packs. All the wolves fought amongst themselves. It would take someone much stronger, much braver, much leader like, with much more heart to make them all meet peace and bow their heads. Wolves are greedy beings, beings ruled by violence, hunger for power, for the desire to dominate and destroy. At least, such is their nature when they don't have someone to teach them other ways that they can use their power for. The True Alpha was a leader whose goal and duty was to do exactly that – lead. There is no leadership in chaos, neither in violence or selfishness. They were...admirable, unwavering, a kind of mountain that could not be moved, a natural phenomenon that could not be contained. And still, despite their efforts, there were still wolves that were greedy, that lusted for power. In a sense, we can say that True Alphas showed them what real power tasted like and so, they started to crave for it. They craved for their position, their strength, their power, their bravery. However, that position only fitted one person only, and once a usurper, a makeshift leader attempted to steal their place... then the downfall soon destroyed everything that had been built. Leaving nothing more, nothing less than chaos, a merciless massacre"

Jungkook, the only True Alpha in the room, was frozen, utterly petrified and baffled at the conjunction of adjectives, of praises and compliments that, somehow, were supposed to fit him. Nothing of this story had ever reached his ears, yet, it gave him hope. For the first time ever since he had been brought to that world, his heart swelled with pride; despite who he was and how unfitting those words were of him, his ancestors were a glint of hope, a mark of glory in his chest.

"They started by doing offerings to the goddess. Rituals to receive her blessing, her praise. They begged her for the power, they'd promise her – in vain and in empty words – that they were worthy of it too. Yet, after years and years of trying, nothing changed. True Alphas continued on growing, their success angered them; it fueled madly and uncontrollably the hatred, the jealousy that corrupted their hearts. They pondered about what to do, they searched and tried in different ways to obtain the power. And, suddenly, an idea popped in their brains. A terrible idea that wickedly was brilliant. A path straight towards... Revenge."

Down Jungkook's spine, ran wildly a chill. A death chilling spree so strong, that caused goosebumps on the Alpha's skin; his whole body convulsed in complaint, in a certain familiar pain. The room, the pack, the forest, the territory, the world was silent. Not even the wind could be heard. It seemed that anxiously they all gathered, hovering above Jungkook's head; they all waited to hear how terrible of a faith had been the one to befall on the True Alpha's existence.

"The mate. A True Alpha's bond with their mate is different from the rest. To be mated with the perfect leader requires a perfect mate, a perfect bond. The mates were the only ones who carried the same strength, the same bravery, the same love as the True Alpha. Their bond was intense, strong, unmatchable. They were called the moon goddess' children. A strong lineage was meant to come from their bond, a lineage of pure hearted leaders. Their love was blessed by the moon goddess herself, a love so beautiful and strong even the goddess would bend the knee for. Unlike the rest of the mates whereas if one of them died the other would experience heart wrenching pain, when it came to the True Alphas and their bond.... things were different." Jinsang's eyes locked with Hani's and he swallowed dryly, dread creeped out of his mouth. "If, by chance, the True Alpha's mate died, soon, the True Alpha himself would die as well. A slow, painful death. A steady staircase towards nothingness. First, their power vanishes, then their wolf abilities, turning them into a human; at last, even their life is taken as well. Those greedy wolves found out about this and they wasted no time, in using the fragility of the bond to their advantage. They started hunting down the True Alpha's mate. One by one they'd disappear, only to show up weeks later dead, rotting on the floor. By their body, you'd find their mate, the True Alpha, dead as well. Some were killed by them, others the bond ripped them away from life, a brave few just... decided to grab the blade themselves."