Part 14

"Hi ma'am, I'm Alex." I put on my best smile as a approached the rolled down window.

"Tabitha Hopkins, it's nice to finally meet you." She spoke turning off the car and exiting it, then reaching out her hand to shake mine.

"It's nice to meet you too, come in." I offered, she nodded and we walked in silence into the house. I've been around enough judgmental people to know she was eyeing every part of us and my home.

"This is Rian Dawson and Jack Barakat, they've been helping me out during this period of adjustment." I introduced, Ms. Hopkins shook both of their hand as they both spoke small hellos.

"Can I see my granddaughter?" She asked, I sighed and looked at Jack.

"I think she's asleep but Jack, you can go wake her up." I nodded looking at him, he nodded back and went up the stairs. We stood in silence as we waited, Ms. Hopkins didn't seem like someone who was for small talk or even casual conversation. Which from interviews and meeting fans we have all gotten pretty good at. Within 5 minutes Jack returned down the stairs with a sleepy yet giggling Charlie.

"Charlotte, oh come her my baby," she called out yet Char immediately changed and hid her face in Jay's shoulder. He put her down and she ran to hide behind my leg.

"Oh come her Lottie..." she continued, I sighed. She wanted nothing to do with her, she was almost terrified.

"Charlie..." She responded, I held back a laugh and it almost pained me not to.

"Lottie," Ms. Hopkins became more serious in her tone and looked at me in a way of asking me to force her to talk to her.

"Charlie... it's Charlie." She shot back stomping her feet. I looked at Jack who slyly smirked and Rian who was trying not to laugh like me.

"Charlotte Eloise I have not seen you in 7 months, come give your grandma a hug." She was now mad and Charlie was quickly getting more upset.

"Alex... all done. All done." She whisper, not a good whisper but an attempt, I nodded and looked at Rian. He nodded and picked her up, Charlie grabbed onto his shirt tightly.

"Come on Kiddo, lets go take a break upstairs..." Rian suggested pulling on a grin and quickly making his way upstairs.

"You know, she's very shy. She's had a very overwhelming couple days. But I am sure she's happy to see you." I tried to make the situation better and walked toward her.

"She's never been like this but she is a very... odd, kid. I don't know how much you've seen of it but she very, peculiar. Never been a normal kid." She spoke in a negative way of Charlie, not something any of us would do. It hurt to hear.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean but she's a very sweet girl. I'm so happy to have her in my life." I smiled truthfully.

"She is, but are you sure? Having a child is a very hard thing. I live about two hours away and I'm willing to take her. I know you're very busy with your little music and all, so I'll take her and you can come see her whenever you please." She offered but more of an 'this is what is happening' way. It made me uncomfortable, I looked at Jack and he seemed very displeased.

"I'm gonna keep her here. We're gonna figure it all out, I'm working very hard to give he the best possible life."

"Well Alex that is your choice but you should know, you and that little girl ruined my daughter's life. If it wasn't for you, she would have gone to law school but instead she ended up cracked out and homeless single mother." She shot back, I paused. Jack looked ready to jump out of his skin and ring her out.

"Ma'am I'll have you know; Charlotte is an amazing girl, none of this is her fault and Alex is a good man who is working hard to give her the best life he can. Your daughter's choices were her own." Jack defended, getting a little sassy back. I bite back a smirk of approval as he went on.

"Well that is your choice sir, but remember in a year from now when you're bored and want something new. You had this choice." She spoke oddly calm, like she knew how to make us uncomfortable.

"Last chance Alex; I can give your daughter a life with private school, I can give her everything she could ever dream of, she'd be set for life, trust funds, and prestigious colleges. Or you can keep her here and who knows what her life will be. She'll end up like you boys; tattooed punks who have no real jobs." She lectured, he tone made me shake with anger and anxiety. I know I can't give her a perfect life but I can love her.

"Ms. Hopkins, I may not be able to give Charlotte what you can but I can love her. I can give her a life full of creative freedom where she'll be able to express herself however she wants." I paused and took a breath. "She wouldn't be put in the box you want to. I can give her a happy home and I think that is more than you ever could." I nodded as I finished my soap box moment, I felt proud. Jack grinned ear to ear, he didn't even try to hide it.

"It was nice meeting you boys. I hope you do not end up regretting this." She grinned the most unfriendly smile I'd ever seen and left. Jack and I were just stunned and speechless.

"Oh thank god you took her in Alex... I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing she was with that Disney villain of a woman." He breathes hugging me, I just nodded.

"It leaves me to wonder what her life has been up to here." I responded. Who knows how Mary acted, who knows how Tabitha acted, who knows who this kid has lived with in her life.

"Ri, she's gone now. You two can come down now." I called up the stairs, he hummed back. Rian came down the stairs with Charlie in his arms, he had a look in his eyes that screamed "I've put some puzzle pieces together...". I nodded at him just saying, "I know man."

"Come here kiddo... it's okay. We're not going anywhere, you're staying here with us. Don't worry." I soothed putting my hand on her head as it rested on my shoulder.

—————————
Hi! How are we? I hope everyone is well. Thank you for all the love on this story and my page. Should I do a Q&A? I love answering questions.