1.9 | Reencounter With Her Ex

Sapphire

"Are you sure he's mad?" Amber asks over the music, leaning closer to me and raising her voice. "I mean, have you tried talking to him? Because, girl, he's been staring at you all night."

I sigh, tipping the cup and pouring all of its contents into my mouth. "Amber, he hasn't talked to me all week after that night. Do you think maybe I forgot something important? I've tried to rack my mind, but I can't remember shit."

"Hm," she plasters on her deep-thinking face, her eyes focused in the direction of Ian. "If I'm not mistaken, he probably has it bad for you. He did sleep with you, after all."

"That doesn't mean anything, Amber. People have casual sex all the time. How is this any different?" I groan, pausing to turn towards him. He's standing off to the side, leaning against a wall and sipping from his cup. To someone who isn't paying attention, he just looks bored. But if you pay close attention, he's shooting a few glances in our direction.

My eyes stay on him as I take Amber's cup and drink from it. He notices and locks his gaze with mine. The music around us keeps everyone dancing, but we just watch one another as we continue to drink from our cup.

"I can feel the sexual tension." Amber pipes up and I break away from his intense stare to glare at her.

"Shut up."

She laughs, snatching her cup back and finishing it. "I'm only stating facts, missy. Now, I'm gonna ditch you so you can go talk to him. Maybe even sleep with him again, but fully aware of it this time."

"I'm not gonna do that." I turn towards him again and a small frown forms on my lips when I see a pretty brunette walking up to him. "Either way, he's busy. It's no—" but she's already gone by the time I try to talk to her again. "Great." I grumble, making my way over to the kitchen.

"One strong margarita, please." I request, running a hand through my hair.

"Coming right up."

"Thanks," I sigh in content once he hands it over to me. Turning back around, I scan the crowd of dancing bodies as I drink my third drink. Instead of my usual chugging, I've been casually drinking. My second drink wasn't even a full drink, it was the few sips I've had from Amber's cup. It's a shock, even to me.

As I make my way towards the exit to get away, my eyes scan a familiar face and I quickly do a double-take, dropping the cup from my lips to take a better look. Wanting to know if it's really who I think it is, I rush over to him and feel excitement bubble up inside me when I stand right beside him.

"Zach?"

He stops talking to his friends as he looks down at me, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. When he also recognizes me, his face breaks out into a wide grin. "Sapphire!"

I laugh when he pulls me into a tight hug, lifting my feet off the ground as he buries his face in my hair. Once I'm back on my feet, he cups my face in both hands and stares at me as if I'm a rare gem.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, setting my cup down on the table. "I thought you were away at college."

He dismisses himself from his friends and grabs my hand to guide me out of the house. The music is still audible, but it's quiet enough for us to hear one another.