Seventeenth

Not even a few minutes passed, Dad had shut himself off in the basement lab, claiming to be busy with his job.

At this point, speaking with his father would just produce no results, so he returned upstairs to his room. Nonetheless, there were still a couple of questions that remained unanswered. What's Dad trying to say? Why is Mr. Zheng being so strange today? And what are they actually talking about when I'm not there?

Even if he tried busying his thoughts by completing his homework, Elliot's mind was far from appeased, longing for explanation. Regardless of the constant distractions, he was finally able to think through and solve the last question on his assignment, although it took what seemed to be hours.

Finally, it's all done... The little blondie felt the pressure on his shoulders somewhat lifted. Writing the answer with satisfaction, he threw the pencil towards his desk and stretched both of his arms and legs. He slumped to the back of his chair as he covered his mouth while letting out a yawn.

Elliot then peeked through the blinds. He observed some white flurries falling down from the skies, but when he caught another car parked on the driveway of his home, the child shot up from his chair. He leaned closer to the windows to see more clearly, and when Mr. Zheng popped out of the driver's seat, he quickly hopped out of his chair to head out.

He's back... maybe he's getting Dad and I some dinner. Elliot's pounding footsteps reverberated throughout the whole house as he zoomed down the stairs and sprinted to the entrance. Opening the doors, the child saw Mr. Zheng ambling towards him, his thin lips cracking into a fragile smile. As the boy expected, he had a takeout bag in hand, and the aroma that hit his nostrils had his stomach growling in response.

"It's Japanese for today," said Mr. Zheng as he hunkered down and lent the fresh food to the child, who received them with care, "karaage don. I think you're gonna love it."

"Thank you, Mr. Zheng!" Elliot beamed, "I was getting really hungry!"

"Well, I come just right on time!" The old man exclaimed, patting his small head and ruffling his tousled hair.

He couldn't help but to chuckle as he saw how the boy's big eyes glittered with excitement and how wide his grin was. However, remembering the current situation Elliot was forced into, Mr. Zheng's laughs died off as his chest throbbed in pain. How could this boy stay so happy even though his father's acting like that? Now that I'm alone with him... this is a good chance to ask.

"Elly..." he began, "can we talk for a moment?"

His words grabbed Elliot's attention in a heartbeat, as he snapped his head up at the old man. He noticed how the wrinkles on his face had multiplied, especially on the center of his forehead. Also, Mr. Zheng was eyeing him fixedly, as if he was expecting him to agree and have a discussion together. 

I'm so sure he's gonna talk about Dad... He gulped. but Mr. Zheng is someone I knew for a long time, so I can trust him. I just need to be careful with what I say... 

"Oh, um... sure..." Elliot nodded, albeit being hesitant, "I just finished my school work... so I have some time."

While small inches of snow continued descending throughout the area, Elliot and Mr. Zheng settled down by the stairs in front of the porch. The old man gave the boy some moments to relax and loosen himself up around him. Obviously interrogating the small guy without giving him the time to think was far from what he wanted.

However, the silence induced rather opposite results, where Elliot shifted both of his legs as he rubbed his freezing hands, then breathed into his palms to warm them up. He then dared himself to look at the man, who was simply staring at nothing. Is Mr. Zheng not gonna say anything...? Why is he taking so long...? This is making me nervous...