Chapter 39

Tears trickled down from her chocolate brown eyes and her demeanor changed. She resembled more like a timid girl instead of the responsible queen of Vijaygarh, when her father said, “Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore, the rulers of mighty Rathore clan are not expected to cry.”

Taking a deep breath, she sniffed and wiped her tears as she nodded in affirmation. She smiled as she began to speak, “Uncle and his family apparently had no issues till my brother Yuvraj Virendra Singh Rathore was alive but the battle with Shivgarh changed everything.”

“Aparajita, we cannot change the past. I too, miss my wife and my son but it does not mean that we will blame or hate other family members. It was a bloody battle, a war and there is no point of having rivalry within the family.” Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore said trying to explain the importance of brotherhood and affection in a family. Being an experienced old man, Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore always emphasized over unity amongst the family members because he knew rift in families were often the reason of decimation of the royal empires.

“When you needed help, my revered uncle, Ajeet Singh Rathore ran to his wife’s parental home. He, along with his young son did not help us in the battle when you required their support the most. They ran and hid themselves in Rajgarh. The king of Rajgarh is your relative, after all, he is the father of uncle’s wife, right? Then why did he not send the help?” Aparajita questioned her father expecting a logical answer but she got none.

Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore huffed as he shouted at the top of his voice, “We did not need anyone’s help. My children were enough to protect my kingdom. Don’t blame anyone.” He could never understand why his daughter thought of the horrific past when she tried to save whatever it was in her hands. He valued his self-respect and was proud of both his children.

“Then, after the peace treaty was signed, they returned back and apologized. You were not even angry. Do you know why did they come back?” Aparajita shot another question angrily. She was tired of her father’s policy of not seeing through the games of her uncle.

“They were my family. After losing my wife and son, I could not lose my brother.” The old king shouted at his daughter angrily.

“Your family came back to you for the throne. After the death of my brother, uncle came back for his greed towards power.” Aparajita spoke calmly to her father trying to explain the real motives of her uncle while her father nodded negatively.

Looking at the tired expressions of her father, Aparajita sighed as she said, “Father, I missed my mother and my brother. Accepting the fate, the naïve version of twelve year old me tried to see a mother in aunt, Shyambhavi Devi and brother in my cousin, Vikrant Singh Rathore. Where was I wrong, father?” She was trying hard to control her tears.

“Aparajita, don’t talk into riddles. If there is an actual reason speak up or otherwise go to the royal court.” Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore said looking disapprovingly at his daughter.

“Vikrant was playing in the garden one day. I too went near him, father, to play with him. I was also missing my playful fights with my brother”, Aparajita said closing her eyes as she relived the painful memories of that day with tears brimming in her eyes.

“My aunt shouted at me that I was an inauspicious culprit who killed my mother and hence, her son should stay away from me”, Aparajita said crying as she broke down. Her father was indeed, terribly shaken.

“Father, this was not the end. It was the story of everyday. They taunted me daily. It was the daily routine for them to blame me for killing my mother. Was it my fault, dear father?” Aparajita broke down as she remembered the agonizing verbal abuse she faced everyday while the old king was terribly shaken.

With tears trickling down his face, Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore cried knowing the truth. He felt ashamed of himself because he could not fulfill the duties of a responsible father to his powerful daughter.

“I am sorry, Aparajita. I was grief-stricken after losing my wife and son. I had drowned myself in work for the welfare of the kingdom.” Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore broke down crying. He really loved his daughter. He always made sure that all the desires and wants of her daughter were catered to. A mere thought of Aparajita getting hurt used to leave him terribly shaken. He broke down after listening to the turmoil of his daughter. He wondered he was indeed a failure who could not find the truth behind Aparajita’s emotionless eyes.

“I forgot my responsibilities towards you. I forgot my daughter, I am sorry. I am really sorry, my child. Please forgive me.” Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore said crying profusely. He was damaged beyond repair.

Aparajita had defended herself in front of her father. She felt light speaking the truth. She chuckled and said, “Dear father, rulers of Rathore clan do not cry”, as she got up from the couch and went near the royal chair where her father of sitting.

The old man got up and hugged his daughter with tears in his eyes and said, “I am proud of you. I am sorry to have hurt you.”

Stroking her head affectionately, the old king asked his daughter, “Aparajita, why didn’t you tell me at that time?”

“I knew you cried missing mother. I didn’t want to give you any pain. Moreover, your brother was manipulating you to crown his son as the king.” Aparajita said as she untangled herself from the protective arms of her father.

Pouring some water in two golden glasses from the golden jug kept in the royal chambers, she continued to speak, “It was then I realized the truth. I understood they used to jeer insults to me not because they hated me but because they saw me as a threat for their incompetent son who wanted to be the king after you. They wanted to shatter my confidence.”

Involuntarily letting out a chuckle, Aparajita passed a glass of water to her father while she gulped down some water from another and said, “I channelized my anger towards my sword-fighting practice. I began developing my physical strength and started to answer them back. Once your brother tried to hit me because I had asked his wife to shut up. I had to defend myself from his attack, father.”

“I am sorry, Aparajita, I could not see your pain. I thought you are gloomy because you missed your mother and brother. I never knew you were facing so much pain every day. I failed as a father.” Maharaja Vijay Singh Rathore said controlling his tears.

“I honed my swordsmanship skills. I continued to study about diplomacy and warfare. I began attending royal court to keep myself busy. I came up with the ideas for the betterment of the kingdom which your brother always tried to suppress. I continued to keep myself busy and evolve into a better person, dear father. I wanted to make you proud.” Aparajita said with tears in her eyes.

With tears in his eyes, the old king was apologizing profusely to his daughter. The queen smiled at her father and said, “Don’t apologize, my dear father”, as she hugged the old king.

The old king was aware of the truth finally and hence, he said, “Neither will I attend the wedding of Vikrant Singh Rathore nor will we send any royal gifts. They hurt my daughter, the apple of my eye.”

Kissing on the forehead of his daughter, the old king said, “You did right banishing them. I am proud of you, Aparajita.”

After this much-needed conversation, the queen of Vijaygarh, Maharani Aparajita Singh Rathore rushed towards the royal court gleefully. The rain had finally stopped and the weather was clear along with her mind. She was looking forward to visit Surajpur in the afternoon to inaugurate her first successful venture.

❤❤❤

Hi everyone

As promised I am back! 🤗

Please enjoy the update and shower your love on this story by hitting the 🌟 button and voting on this chapter. 😍

I am waiting for your lovely comments! ♥️

I will be back soon. 😊

Love you all
💜