𝟬𝟭𝟵 a scab picked too many times

chapter nineteena scab picked too many times

chapter nineteen
a scab picked too many times

$$

          The first thing to register in her mind was a cold touch gnawing at her bare skin

The first thing to register in her mind was a cold touch gnawing at her bare skin. She was used to the heat. Her bloodstream was poisoned with ashes from the wildfire burning deep within her chest, and those flames licked the epidermis of her skin, singeing the hairs. But this . . . this was different. The cold which she felt swallowed her whole, sending shivers down her spine. Her eyes fluttered open a second later as she glanced around her room for the source, only to find the side of the bed next to her was empty. JJ had left. Granted, the darkness of the night had engulfed the whole island, so maybe he just left to go to John B's or something. But . . . the thought of JJ just leaving in the middle of the night without waking her made her stomach churn.

          She blinked at the vacant side of the bed, then propped herself up on her arms. Her thoughts became the best of her as she stared at the blank spot. She thought of all the reasons as to why JJ had left without waking her. She thought maybe she wasn't good enough. She never had been for anyone else. Everyone always left her. Maybe JJ decided it'd be best if Izzy Windsor wasn't in his world. Maybe he didn't mean those things he had said to her. Maybe it was just an act. Everyone always put on an act when Izzy was involved.

          Her eyes pricked with tears at the thought of him leaving her too. She didn't care if pretty girls didn't cry. She was so sick of that notion. It was stupid . . . and she felt stupid. But just as she was about to let a tear slip down her cheek, she caught sight of a note resting on her bedside table. Her chest inflated like a balloon with hope as she quickly tugged on the crewneck sweatshirt she was wearing earlier and hopped out of her bed. She reached the bedside table and grabbed the note, then quickly scanned it with her eyes.

You looked so peaceful
so I didn't want to wake you,
but I'll see you tmr (I hope).
I had to take care of something.