Chapter 14

Miranda's POV

A year had passed and now I could accurately use these two abilities. Smaug seemed very satisfied but always told me to practice.

A burst of bright golden flames came forth from my mouth and I held it there. Endurance training. That is what we were on now, seeing how long I could keep a mental conversation going without retreating to my own mind. Or how long I could keep up a stream of fire.

I let go of the fire in my mouth and began breathing heavily. "Good." Smaug said, "Very good indeed. You lasted a little over 30 minutes that time. You may rest now. We are done for the day." I nodded and curled up on a pile of coins and slept.

When I awoke, I pulled out my pack and began searching inside for gems to place in the holes of my diadem and necklace. I found two white gems of starlight and fitted them into the sockets of my necklace. When I was finished, I looked at my work and nodded.

"What are you doing?" Came a questioning rumble from in front of me.

My head jerked up in surprise and I almost dropped the necklace in shock. I had been so absorbed in what I was doing, I hadn't noticed him wake.

"Careful," Smaug chuckled. He looked at the jewelry in my hands and said, "I have seen that before. You have worn it. You fit it with gems from your hoard?"

"Yes," I said and then held up my diadem. "I will do the same to this."

Smaug stared at the diadem before getting up saying, "Follow me." I went to put the diadem inside my pack when he added, "Take it with you."

We stopped when we were deep in the mines. He reached into a box and pulled out what looked to be a multi-colored gem. I watched amazed as he held it in his claw it changed color before my eyes, what was once a gem of many colors, now was the brown red of his scales and the orange-yellow color of his eyes.

"This jewel is called a fire gem. Responding to color changes, you should have it. Place it right there in that big loop on your crown." He said, passing me the fire gem.

I picked it up in my hands and found that it was warm to the touch. Carefully, I placed the gem into my diadem. It was a perfect fit.

"It isn't completed yet." Smaug's voice rumbled around me. "One of those white gems of starlight should do the trick."

I ran up to him and hugged his neck, "Thank you, Adar."

He smiled, "Only the best for my daughter."

~*~

After we had eaten, Smaug spoke again. "This time, I want you to tell me a story. Maybe one from those books that you keep in your pack."

I looked though my pack until I had found the book I was looking for. "This is a copy of the prophecy for 'The Fellowship of the Ring." I said and began reading aloud.