Chapter-1

Arinya's POV

I stared blankly towards the empty lane reminiscing everything that I've been through. But what happened minutes before has left me all shattered and broken. I am not able to process anything right now. I thought how such a happy day turned a nightmare for me.

Today I woke up feeling quite happy and positive. I mean who won't be happy on their graduation day. Now I can proudly say that I hold a MFA (Masters in Fine Arts) degree from the prestigious New York School Of Interior Design. And this is the first step I took towards accomplishing my father's dream...but now

I terribly missed my parents throughout the graduation ceremony. Nobody can fill that void in my life and the worst thing about it is that I can't do anything either.

After the convocation ceremony, I went out to a small yet cute cafe. I ordered pancakes and liquid truffle to celebrate my graduation. I find happiness and contentment in such little things in life. I am not a very outgoing personality rather I am an introvert.

Then I headed towards home, well for the past few years I haven't felt like home there.
If I knew what future had in store for me, I hadn't had stepped inside that house. I wonder how people can be so heartless and inhumane.

A lone tear escaped my eyes and I quickly wiped it off.
"No...no no this is not the time to cry Ari, you gotta hold yourself up. You've been through so much and you are strong enough to go through this too. Have faith in yourself."  I whispered to myself.

Suddenly my phone rang breaking my train of thoughts. I pulled it out of my jean's pocket and saw the caller ID.

It was Elle, my best friend and the only person who I trust in this entire world. She is the most amazing human being.
I met Elle in my first year of college. She was an year senior to me. Since it was a 2 year program so the seniors were told to train the juniors for 6 months and luckily I was assigned to be trained by Elle. She is the only person from college who I can call my real friend, other people were more like just acquaintances. I was happy to know that she lived just a few blocks away from where I live.. Used to live.

I immediately answered the call.

"Congratulations babe. I m so so proud of you. I know how hard you've worked for this and see the day has finally arrived. I m really happy for you. " She squealed in excitement.

"Thanks El.". I replied.

"Heyy what happened to you? It's your graduation day and you sound so low. Did anything happen? "  She interrogated.

"Noo.. Umm it's n..nothing. I m good." I tried to sound confident but failed miserably.

"Do you really think that you can lie to me. Besides you are a really bad liar so just spill."  She declared.

"Umm El...They aa..." I tried to muster the courage to tell her.

"Ari listen, whatever it is just speak up because I'm getting worried now. You can tell me anything, you know that."  She said truly.
She is the only person who knows me well and all my secrets.

"El, they a.. abandoned me." I said.

"Whattttt? No no no no. I mean how could they. Fucking heartless jerks!! But what happened that they.. Umm are you okay? Oh god Elle what are you even asking. Aah Sorry Ari, but what happened?"  Her voice laced in sympathy.

"They got what they wanted so.. ". I stated.

Before I could say anything she spoke in a very shocked yet sad tone.
"Ari, you.. "

"I feel so guilty right now, I feel like I'm the w..worst daughter seriously. I.. I can't fulfill my father's dream now."  I said in a croaked voice.

"Hey no..don't think like that. You're the best daughter and a very strong woman." She replied.

"I.. I tried a lot but.." I was on the verge of breaking down at this moment but I tried to hold it back.

I took a sharp breath and continued "...I had to give up one thing to save the other."
I completed my sentence in a very depressed voice.

"What does that mean??" She asked in a concerned voice.

There was a long silence as I didn't know what to say to her now. Thankfully, she didn't press it too.

"Where are you right now." She asked.

"I'm standing in front of the house...umm where I used to live before..." I replied.

"Oh my god Arinya and how long have you been standing there." She asked.

"I..I guess 20 mins". I replied in a low voice.

"Thank Lord I called you, otherwise you would have just kept standing there or maybe wander around the streets of New York. Why didn't you call me when it all happened?" She asked clearly annoyed.

"I.. I didn't know what to do.. I just couldn't process anything...I'm sorry El." I spoke.

"Well you should be and yeah stay there. I'm coming to pick you, you'll live with me until we find some solid solution to all this." She said with finality.

"But El.." She replied.

"No buts, I'm coming. Just stay there okay?" She stated.

10 minutes later, Elle came. She got out of her car and pulled me in a hug.

"I m there for you". She said smiling.

"Thank you!! " I smiled back at her.

She then took my suitcase and handbag from me and placed it in her car and asked me to get inside too. We reached her apartment in around 10 minutes. She lived alone here for which I was a little relieved. I changed into my Pyjamas. Till then, she served dinner for both of us. We had dinner while watching Netflix and talking about random stuff. I was really grateful that she didn't talk about whatever happened with me today.

"I think you need to take some rest now and don't hesitate to tell me if you need anything. Okay?" She whispered.

"Yeah good night and thank you for everything you've done so far." I greeted.

"It's nothing really...Good night!!". She smiled at me.

She switched off the lights and went to her room. I lay on the bed while watching the night sky out of the window. My mind was a mess of thoughts and I didn't realise when tears started rolling down my cheeks uncontrollably. Slowly, my eyelids started feeling heavy and I fell asleep in the hope that coming days would be better.

___________________________________________

Thanks for giving my story a chance. I hope you liked it. Lots of love to you❤
Please Vote, Share & Comment.