END

"Hoy, ayusin mo naman!"

Lumingon ako kay Raffy na mukhang wala pang tulog ngayon.

I smiled at her and laughed.

"Okay, okay," I surrendered. "A 20-year-old Japanese man is brought by his friends for recurrent episodes of weakness of the lower extremities after playing soccer for several hours. The patient told the ED physician that he noticed that these episodes started a few weeks ago, and they are happening during physical activities. His family history is unremarkable, but the patient also mentioned that he has lost about 6 pounds in the last few weeks despite having a very good appetite."

She listened intently while I narrated the question in one of her reviewers. "The physical exam is remarkable for goiter and flaccid paralysis of the lower extremities. A few minutes later, the lab called the ED physician for an abnormal potassium level. The rest of the labs were normal. The ED physician ordered a dose of potassium intravenously and the patient started feeling much better; the repeat potassium is now normal. What diagnosis is the most likely?"

Kumunot ang noo niya. "Uhhh...."

"Kaya mo 'yan." I laughed. I didn't even understand half of what I said.

"Familial hypokalemic paralysis?" she answered with a questioning tone.

Umiling ako at binaba yung reviewer. These were obviously one of her 'I haven't eaten all day and I still have a few long quizzes tomorrow' looks. Naka-puti na uniform lang siya at nakatali ang buhok. She doesn't even have any make-up on, and she's obviously been crying last night, basing from our phone call.

"Baby, just eat first," I told her while fixing her plate.

"Thyrotoxic periodic paralysis!" she enthusiastically said.

Tumango ako at sinara yung kanina niya pa pinapabasa sa akin. This was one of the few nights I got to spend with her, with her hectic schedule, and my classes at APTS, it was almost impossible to find a night with the both of us being available. Mas lalo na next month, kapag nag-simula na ang clerkship niya.

"You good?" tanong ko sa kanya bago ako uminom sa baso ko.

She nodded and smiled. "Yeah, pagod lang kanina."

I gave her a smile and held her hand. Kitang kita yung pagod sa mata niya.

"Nawala pagod ko because of you, though." She squeezed my hand. "Yieeeee kilig ka 'no? Claude talaga."

I chuckled and shook my head. We've been in this relationship for more than three years now, and she never fails to make me smile even in the most tiring days. That's one of the things I love about her.

I was born in a Christian family. I grew up knowing about Jesus, but it amazes me how even in the times our relationship was rocky, she'd always show the maturity she has in faith. She taught me that love is not all about feelings.

"Ah, gano'n ba?" sabi niya sa akin habang nagmamaneho ako.

She had her eyes glued to her iPad. She didn't even bother looking at me.

"Yeah," I told her. "Pero marami naman sila, hindi lang si Alice. Sina Monty din, sina Carmilla. Come on, you've met them, right?"

"Mhmm," she answered. "Enjoy kayo."

"I was hoping you could join, though."

Her nose scrunched. "Baby, I can't. I have an exam on Monday, eh."

Tumango ako. I understand her schedule and time for academics. It just sucks that she can't go.

Napabaling ako sa phone niyang biglang tumunog. Tumaas ang kilay ko nang makita ko ang pangalan ni Jaxon.