Chapter 28

"Rosalina?" I mumbled, gazing up at her in shock as she looked at me through the bars of the cell, tears dribbling down her face.

"I'm so sorry Eliza," sobbed Rosalina, covering her mouth with her hand, her entire body trembling.

Joanna shook her head, raising her eyebrows. "How does it feel Eliza? To have someone you thought was your friend betray you? I bet it sucks."

I growled, giving Joanna a hard glare; her response being only a snarky smirk.

"I'm sorry Eliza, she has my Mother. She told me she'd release her if I did what she said," cried Rosalina, dropping her gaze and squeezing her eyes shut.

"And since I'm a woman of my word, here," grunted Joanna as she sauntered up to my neighbouring cell, unlocked it and threw the doors open, tugging out a frail woman.

She shoved the woman towards Rosalina, who cried with joy as she pulled her into her arms, hugging tightly.

"Now get out, and don't come back. If either of you say anything to anyone, I will personally hunt you down and kill you," threatened Joanna, snarling.

Rosalina turned to me, gazing into my eyes with her teary and broken ones, her brows furrowed and her mouth set in a firm line. "What are you going to do with her?"

"I said get out!" growled Joanna, causing Rosalina to duck her head, and pull her Mother out of the room along with her.

So much was going through my head. Although Rosalina was younger than me, I considered her a friend of mine.

The day I had seen her out in the woods, bruised and bloody, scared for her life, I knew I had to do something to save her, but she only betrayed me in return.

I had wanted the best for Rosalina. I wanted her to be able to start a new life with a pack who would love and care for her. I had wanted to show her what life could really be like when you were surrounded by people who loved you.

I saw the regret and pain in her face as she left. I knew she was hurting, but when it came to family, they would always come first.

I knew Rosalina did what she had to do to be reunited with her Mother, even if it meant throwing me under the bus.

"Maybe you should learn a lesson from this Eliza, you really can't trust anyone," said Joanna, picking at her nails. "Especially your beloved mate, Alpha Logan."

My eyes widened at the mention of Logan, and I furrowed my brows, staring out at Joanna's dark tall figure, trying to make out her expression. "Why do you say that?"

Joanna chuckled, stepping closer to the cell, her cool breath slightly fanning my face as she spoke. "You know who I am, so I'm guessing Logan has mentioned some things to you. However, did you know that your mate is the reason his own brother is dead?"

I attempted to swallow, but my throat was bone dry, slowly closing up, causing me to take bigger intakes of breath.

"She's lying."

I furrowed my brows at the soft voice, gazing past Joanna's left shoulder into the cell opposite mine, seeing a small light haired female figure sitting cross legged on the floor, her side leaning up against the cell bars.

Joanna growled, stomping over to the cell and kicking at the bars, causing the entire room to shake; debris falling from the ceiling. "Shut up!"

I pushed myself back from the bars, not liking Joanna's aggressive side, but I knew it was something I was probably going to see more of.

"The only reason you're not dead is because I want you to suffer!" snarled Joanna, kneeling down to cup the female's chin, pulling her closer before forcefully shoving her back, sending her falling backwards, hitting her head on the hard concrete floor.