𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟒𝟖

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Through her mother's slight facial expressions, Astrid could see that she was searching desperately for something to say in the awkward, ensuing silence, and finally, her mother managed hesitantly, "So, you're fighting often in the Clone Wars?" 

Astrid smiled with mild amusement as she answered, "Yes, I am. We both are." Astrid waved a hand between her and Anakin, who straightened in his seat as her mother glanced towards him-- her father had left the room to clean the kitchen. Astrid paused before adding, "We are both generals of our own clone trooper squadrons. I lead the 431st, and Anakin leads to 501st." 

Her mother blanched at her words before she quickly recovered, and she remarked with a shaky laugh, "The Jedi Order-- the entire Republic-- surely places a lot of, uh, responsibility on you Jedi, especially ones as young as, well, you two." 

Astrid only smiled and replied stiffly, "It's what's necessary, I suppose." 

Anakin spoke up with proud enthusiasm, "The Jedi's duty is to bring peace and justice to the galaxy, so it was expected we would fight in the Clone Wars. It's our job." He paused before adding, "Plus, the Jedi are needed to commander the clones. The clones won't listen to anyone else." 

Her mother nodded thoughtfully with narrowed eyes before asking, "How old are you, Anakin? Where are you from originally?" 

Anakin's eyes darkened a little before he responded, "I'm twenty-one. I'm originally from Tatooine." 

"Oh! Another Outer Rim dweller!" her mother exclaimed with a wide smile in Astrid's direction. She gave her daughter another wink-- a wink of approval. 

Astrid's cheeks flushed red, and she gave a quiet, nervous laugh. 

Oblivious to her daughter's embarrassment, Astrid's mother continued to prattle, "How long have you two been together?" 

Astrid and Anakin exchanged bewildered looks, having not realized it was apparently obvious that they were a thing. If her mother could pick up on their hidden relationship, did that mean Obi-Wan could already know? 

Astrid shivered at the thought and began, "We're not--" at the same time Anakin replied casually, "About four years give or take." 

Astrid shot Anakin a pointed, warning look, both because she didn't want her mother to ask any more probing questions and because what they were doing-- their entire relationship-- was against the Jedi Code. The least amount of people who knew the better. 

Her mother's brow furrowed, and she began hesitantly, "I, uh, am not entirely sure I understand." Her gaze swung towards Anakin, and her eyes narrowed. "You aren't forcing yourself on my daughter are you?" 

"No!" Astrid quickly interjected with alarm. "No, he's not, mom. Don't worry. It's just... complicated." Her shoulders slumped at the thought of explaining its complicated-ness. 

Her mother crossed her arms. "I don't see how a relationship can be complicated like this. It's either you are or you are not together." 

Astrid's gaze turned skywards in exasperation. She had not been expecting discussing this topic with her mother after fourteen years of them not seeing each other. She thought they would be catching up about other things, though she wasn't entirely sure what those other 'things' exactly entailed.

Astrid sighed before explaining, "Attachment is not allowed in the Jedi Order, so we have to keep  our relationship a secret." 

Her mother's brow dipped into a frown. Before she could reply, the door banged loudly against the wall as Sarra entered the room, and Anakin and Astrid both visibly flinched. Her mother's frown deepened at their reactions, a contemplative look crossing her face as she perhaps realized the full extent of the war's effect on the two young Jedi.