34.) Lying

“Hello, is this Miller Cleaning Company?”

“Yes, ma’am. How can we assist you today?”

I grinned and crossed my fingers, hoping that my plan would work as I began speaking into the phone. “Yes, I am talking to you on behalf of the San Francisco Giants. I was wondering if you have records of cleaning for a Ryan Vogelsong?”

“Wait one moment, please.”

I waited for a minute and thirty- two seconds in excruciating silence. I’ve called every cleaning company in the San Francisco phone book that I found online. I mean, somebody as rich and famous as a Giants pitcher certainly has a maid. At least, that’s all I have to go on so far.

“Ah, yes. Ryan Vogelsong. He is a frequent client.”

I pulled the phone away from my ear to let out a huge squeal of relief and excitement- my plan was working and now in action. “Okay, then I got the name right. Mr. Vogelsong has horrible penmanship sometimes!” I said with a high class laugh. “Anyway, he was wondering if you had Mr. Brooks’ phone number? Mr. Vogelsong is such a klutz sometimes and he cleared out all of his contacts, however Mr. Brooks isn’t in town for a few days, so he can’t get it back and there’s an emergency.” I read from the script I wrote with the help of Andy and Libby. It seemed pretty real and over the phone, I was a pretty convincing actress. Of course, my story was backed up. Josh Brooks, Ryan’s manager was in Oklahoma for the weekend to visit family, according to some news article I’d found.

“Oh, well we usually aren’t allowed to give out that sort of information.” The lady said on the other end. “Are you sure it’s an emergency.”

“Yes, it really is and you are our last hope. Please.” I partially begged.

She paused in thought and I crossed my fingers again. “Okay, just this once.”

“Thank you, this means a lot to Mr. Vogelsong.”

She sighed and then fed me the number. I thanked her once more before hanging up and without a second thought, I punched the new number into my phone, praying to every god in existence to let him answer.

“Josh Brooks.” He answered and I pushed the mute button to hide my excited squeal.

“Hello, Mr. Brooks.” I greeted as formally as I could. “My name is Holly Thorne.”

“How can I help you, Miss. Thorne?” He asked and I was relieved to hear that he seemed kind of nice.

“I’m sure you’ve heard of Ryder West, is that correct?” I asked.

“Yes, I have. Who do you work for, ma’am?”

“Oh, I don’t work for anybody.” I told him honestly. “It’s just, his little brother, Kale’s birthday is coming up and he’s a huge fan of Ryan.”

“Ah.” He laughed. “I see where this is going. You think that I can get Ryan to meet that Kale kid?”

“Um, yes?” I squeaked. “I have money and, well, that’s it. But I’ll do anything, it’s really important to him.”

“Hang on a sec.” He said and I smiled at how laid back this guy was. Maybe this could work.

“Ryan here.” A new voice piped and my jaw dropped. This was not part of the plan.

“Like, um, like the Vogelsong one?” I asked.

I heard laughter on the other end. “Yes, how can I help you?”

I swallowed deeply and started to explain.

“His name is Kale?” He asked after I told him about Kale’s birthday and such.