3 | J U L I E T

It had been weeks after I ran away. I had been wandering aimlessly around all this time. I had been staying at different hotels every few days.

A few days after I ran away, I cut my own hair into a pixie cut and dyed my hair platinum blonde. I missed my previous long brunette wavy hair but this had to be done.

There was an uproar back home. I was all over the news. Everyone was rebuking me for running away from a seemingly perfect home and I didn't argue. I did have a perfect home with the perfect parents and siblings. It was just that I didn't want to be me anymore. I didn't want to be under the constant media attention. I didn't want to be criticized for every decision I took.

I had yet to buy a new phone. Unfortunately, the money I took from home was soon going to run out and it was my fault although I wasn't going to admit it. If only I hadn't splurged money on clothes and heels and more makeup than I already had and if only I hadn't ordered takeout from the fanciest restaurants, I could've still had some money left.

I refused to look for a job because it would risk me getting noticed and I also didn't want to work. I'd be bad at it anyways because I'd never actually worked so I'd have no idea what to do.

Still, before all the money dwindled away, I decided I needed to call my friends.

I found a telephone booth and dialed in Heather's number which I knew by heart. It rang once before she picked up.

"Hello?" Came her voice and it felt nice to hear her again after so many days.

"Hey." I said casually.

"Juliet?!" She screeched loudly and I had to pull the phone away to protect my eardrums.

"Yes, it's me."

"Where are you?!" She had intention of lowering her volume.

"Why are you being so goddamn loud? Someone will hear you." I looked around to see if anyone was within hearing range before lowering my own voice. "How are mom and dad?"

"How are they?! They're not okay. You've got to come home. It's been weeks and they're still not able to find you. Where are you?" At least she was whispering like I was now.

"Listen, I don't know. I don't feel like going home. I don't want to go home. And I don't know what I should do now. The money, it's not enough." I said, playing with the telephone wire.

"What the hell do you mean by that? You have to come back. It's not safe for you to be out there. Why am I even listening to your bullshit? I'm going to go tell your dad about this phone call."

"You're not going to do that!" I didn't want them to have the slightest inkling about where I was. "Heather, I'm perfectly fine. I'll figure something out, okay? I just need time away from all of it. Surely you do understand, right? You're not going to tell them and if you do, it's at the cost of our friendship."

"I-God Juliet, why'd you put me in this position?" She grumbled. "Can I at least tell Amelia?"

I smiled because I knew I had her wrapped around my finger and she'd do exactly what I'd tell her. "Of course, she's my best friend too. But only if she doesn't tell anybody."

"Yeah, I'm sure she won't. But where are you exactly? Are you really okay?" I knew she was worried for me but she didn't need to be. I had been perfectly fine all this time so what could possibly go wrong?

"I don't really know where I am. I'm constantly moving everyday so there's no fixed place I'm at but once I do find a place, I'll call you. It's fun though."

"Oh God." I could imagine her shaking her head at me. "Only you'd find this thing fun. Everybody is scared shitless for you here."

"I'm happy to hear that."