26 | Experiment

Dramatic poster to begin the chapter!  @NIKIbookgram, you have given me so many gorgeous posters to choose from - thank you!

We're beginning this chapter with a little rewind back to Friday, after Luke and Millie left Bianca at her house.  There's a bit more to her side that I wanted to cover...

Chapter 26: Experiment

~Bianca's POV~

"Do you know what it feels like to have the guy you love, turn your back on you?" I asked her.

I dragged my suitcase back into my house, throwing it down on the living room floor.

I can't believe I spent the last forty minutes of my life packing the cutest outfits for a weekend that didn't even happen. It's humiliating.

"No, I haven't," Jamie said, "And I don't know why you called me. You have a lot of girl friends-"

"I called you because you know Luke," I snapped back, "Whether you like it or not, you and I have been through this before."

"You mean the time we almost released that photo of Millie to the whole school? That was not my finest moment," Jamie replied, standing uncomfortably in my living room.

She dressed like a boy, with baggy shirt and jeans. I know her dad's the basketball coach, but why didn't she make an effort?

"Can you at least call Oma?" she asked me, "She was with us-"

"No," I insisted, walking up to Jamie so her dim little head would get it, "Oma is too righteous for this and all my friends think I'm staying at Luke's cabin this weekend."

"Bianca, we aren't really friends," Jamie said, "You never talk to me at school."

I glanced up at the clock on the wall. It was almost 3PM. My parents would be home in two hours and the fighting would begin. They've decided to get a divorce and it was getting ugly.

She sighed. "I used to feel that way about him too. Like a normal day would become amazing if he told me he liked my outfit-"

I snorted at that. Luke would never say that to her.

Jamie ignored me, "And some days he'd forget I exist. Those weren't good days."

"You don't know him like I do," I told her, a little patronizing but she deserved it.

She was a naïve girl who idolized Luke. He came over to her house every week for dinner with her and her dad. She thought they had a bond. How cute.

"Luke and I are a match," I informed her, "He and I... we're popular. We've dated other people and we've dated each other. I mean, look at us. We're the perfect image."

Why has he changed his mind?

We're cut from the same cloth, him and I. We're both shamelessly superficial, overly confident, sometimes aggressive and always good looking.

He doesn't need to pretend like he's a better man when he's around me.

I wasn't lying when I told Millie that he will grow tired of her. That's what he does. He finds a new plaything, plays... and then chucks it.

"I'm sorry Bianca," Jamie said to me, "It hurts and it sucks. Luke doesn't belong to one girl and he never will. That's the problem with a boy like him. He's too handsome for his own good."

Unattractive people always say that jocks peak in high school. Luke throws that stereotype off. He's popular, life is easy for him and he's got a chance at getting into the NBA.