Chapter 35 : The Promise

IT WAS LIKE FLOATING in the clouds the next day. I woke up with the merry music outside, contemplating whether I should get up and see what's happening outside or just continue to sleep. But curiosity got the better of me. I decided to take a look.

Colorful banners were hung on trees. The sentries and housemaids were busily scuttling around, arranging tables and chairs. What's happening?

I decided to go out and check for myself. Even the hallways are merry as the servants were wiping the pictures in the wall and changing flowers in the vases. 

"Why won't you say yes?" I stopped on my tracks as I was about to take another step down the stairs. 

It was a familiar, graceful voice. 

"I don't have to explain myself to you," 

And I was even more surprised when I heard the voice of the man. 

"Davis--" 

"Enjoy the celebrations, Your Highness," And I heard Davis' footsteps fading away. I clamped my mouth and went back to where I came from. I resisted the urge to smile with the unexpected pair-up. Davis doesn't strike me as someone who would be interested in women. I just think he is way too serious with his own life to be interested in other people. The Princess would find him a hard rock to crack open.

I was about to turn to the corner when someone pulled me into a room. I saw a glimpse of his face before he closed the door, leaving no light. Before I could even mutter his name, his lips crushed mine. 

"Exene--" I managed to say before he kissed me again. But this time, it was quick. 

"You weren't in your room," he muttered. 

"Well, why the kiss?" 

"Cause I missed you?" 

I scoffed and hit his shoulder jokingly. "We saw each other last night." 

"And  I missed what we did last night, so I did it again." Despite the darkness, I saw him smiled. "I was thinking of making this all real."

I stopped. "What do you mean?" 

"I'm not going to pretend anymore," 

"Exene--" 

"But I know you won't say yes to that immediately. There are still more important matters at hand and I would love to get to know you more after all of this. So, brace yourself, Liliana."

"But--"

"Whether you like it or not, I will pursue you. You can reject me now but I will make sure you'll say yes next time." He winked and unlocked the door behind me. He pulled the door dahilan para matulak ako papunta sa kanya. 

I gasped and he smirked. "Enjoy the celebration, Liliana."

And he left me there,e dumbfounded by the suddenness of it all. Pursue me? Say yes later? I groaned as I realized what troublesome days are waiting for me ahead. 

* * *

Turns out, it's a birthday party. For the twins. I can't believe I didn't know it's their birthday until today. And I didn't really have the chance to ask Exene earlier. 

I sat on one of the chairs and enjoyed the decorations and the people merrily dancing with the music. I saw one of the twins dancing with one of the handmaidens. I can clearly see how the maiden is blushing as Luca gave her his dashing smile. I can see unfamiliar faces, probably their friends. Levi on the other hand, is sipping calmly his wine while scanning the food on the table. The women around him, swooning as he picked up a  bite sized cookie and eat it whole, licking his fingers. I rolled my eyes. I don't know if they are aware of the attention they're drawing. 

"I heard you rejected the Duke," 

I almost choked on my punch when someone suddenly spoke beside me. 

"Your Highness--" 

"I'm an ordinary guest tonight so drop the honorifics." 

I stopped for a few seconds. "Of course," 

"He's sulking in his room right now because of you," 

"I actually didn't say anything to him today so I don't see any reason for him to be sulking." 

He chuckled. "Maybe that's why he was sulking in the first place." 

I didn't answer as I sipped on my punch. 

"Apollo is still on the run. And since he wanted to get you from the very start, he may try and get you again. Or he may have changed his plans. We don't know for sure. Just be careful, Liliana. And Exene won't let his eyes off of you, anyway so I think I should not be worried." 

Humigpit ang hawak ko sa aking baso. I already know the dangers I am in. And I feel like I bought this danger with me to them. 

"Why do you think Apollo wants you?" 

"He may have teamed up with Emerich Sardon to get me back to Sandovia." 

Ares was silent for a few seconds. "Is that the only reason?" 

Napatingin ako sa kanya but his eyes are somewhere. When I followed his gaze, he was looking at Davis Black who is walking towards our direction. 

"Your highness," Davis said stiffly, slightly tilting his head. His eyes went to me. 

"Right. I'm afraid I have to tend my brother's broken heart tonight. See you around." Ares said and tapped Davis' and walked away.

Davis was silent as he sat down beside me. The last time we had an actual talk was that night he revealed everything about himself, his connection to Apollo. And never again after that. 

"Are you scared?"

Napatingin ako sa kanya and I know what he meant. I held my glass tighter. 

"The most notorious criminal is after you, the most despicable high lord's son is also after you." 

Silence covered between us. Only the merry music could be heard and the laughter of the people around us.

"I'm sorry, Liliana."

Napatingin ako sa kanya. Eyes questioning.

"Why are you saying sorry?"

He sighed and looked far ahead. "I—" it was as if words left him. Or is it something he doesn't want to say. He let out a breath and turned to face me. And for the second time, I saw emotions in his face—sadness, grief, regret.

"I will not let any harm come to you. I promise you that." 

* * *