16) Her Date

Ella knew of an apple farm nearby. She would always go their during the summer and fall since it was the perfect season for their apples. Her mom had discovered the place five years after moving there, and since then, they had been regulars there. It didn't hurt that the people were so nice to her every time she went.

"Wait. Do you like apples...?" Ella trailed off curiously, staring at Damien with anxiousness. Damien found her adorable. She had already parked in a large area off a field. Signs of offers of the apple farm visible.

"Yes, I do." Damien got out, walking around Ella's car.

"Okay, good. I didn't realize I didn't ask you." Ella locked her car before tossing her keys inside her crossbody. "Let's go." She took his hand, lacing their fingers together a little shyly before he also firmly held her hand, and she felt better.

"Ella!" An older woman approached them wearing some overalls that seemed a bit too big on her elderly yet energetic body. "It's been a while, girly!" The woman drew Ella in for a hug, squeezing the young woman tightly.

"It has." Ella smiled back warmly before looking behind her to pull Damien closer by his hand. "I figured I should promote your beautiful farm to another person."

The woman looked at Damien from head to toe in an appreciative yet wary manner. The man seemed older than her precious Ellie, not to mention that he also seemed stiff and way too formal for someone as warm and casual as Ella.

"Nice to meet, honey. I'm Sandra." Sandra extended her hand toward's Damien who also shook her hand without hesitation. That was a good sign to Sandra.

"Damien at your service, ma'am." Damien politely smiled, finding it easier to do with Ella right by his side, holding his left hand encouragingly.

"So!" Sandra clapped her hands, reaching behind her at the booth to pull two large baskets. "What are we in the hunt for? Granny Smiths? Rome Beauties? Jonathans? You name it, we probably have it." Sandra was ushering them inside the gates to her farm while Ella tried planting her feet on the ground.

"Wait, Sandra," Ella was no match for the old, little lady who just kept shoving the couple forward. Damien, upon noticing that Ella wanted to stop, stopped, and Sandra was then rendered useless to move the bulk of muscle that was Damien. "Thank you," Ella smiled in relief towards Damien before turning to frown at Sandra. "We didn't pay for the baskets, Sandra."

"Nonsense!" Sandra waved her hands in the air without a care. "I don't want to hear it, Ellie. You really think I'll go broke if you two enter for free? Come on." Sandra, again, pushed Ella forward successfully, and Damien followed.

He had been in many courts before so he knew how to read people's body language. He knew Sandra was not going to let Ella pay for anything no matter what Ella said or did.

"Here, your favorites." Sandra plucked some Red Delicious apples and tossed them into Ella's basket, catching Ella off-guard and causing her to almost drop the basket from the sudden weight.

"Momma!" A loud voice was calling out, and Sandra rolled her eyes sassily.

"I'll leave you to give the tour. You know this place well, anyway." Sandra plucked another apple and tossed it into her bucket before rushing off. "What?" Sandra's voice could be heard as she yapped away.

"She's a character." Ella sighed, laughing. "So... what type of apples do you like?" Ella began walking down the rows, plucking an apple here or there.

They had been walking for a while, and Ella's basket had been filled, so Damien took it, and replaced it with his, allowing her to fill it again as they walked down another type of apples.