46 | Home

Your eyes narrowed at the sight of an extra pair of shoes at your home's entrance - women's low heels, black, part of some work attire. Adjusting your collar uneasily, you jumped to a conclusion. Your father had invited someone over to help him clean the house, since your uncle had gone missing.

But, as soon as you made it to the front room, you wished you had never come home.

While your dad sat up and brought his crutches closer to him, the lady still faced away from you. But you knew it had to be her.

The last time you had seen her was for your eleventh birthday when she had taken you to watch a family-friendly film and pampered you to make up for her absence.

Try as you might to ignore your hunch, seeing your mother after all these years could only mean one thing; bad news.

And that sense of impending doom only grew stronger as you spotted the frown cutting into your dad's expression.

Without so much of a welcome, your mum's gentle voice broke the deafening silence. "Sorry for dropping in out of the blue, but (y/n)... we need to talk."

---

Todoroki's shoulders slumped as he made it to the entrance of his large, traditional house. He knew it had only been a few hours since he last saw you, but something about returning home without you, left him feeling so... lonely?

Aimlessly wandering the halls, his steps nearly silent except for the occasional creaking, he shoved his hands in his pockets. His attention drifted, and he began thinking about you until he found himself in the lavish guest room you had stayed at the start of high school.

His long fingers traced the window sill, and his eyes scanned the room, as he tried to imagine what you would be up to at this very moment.

You'd be at home, too, most likely. Either taking care of your dad or, as he hoped, allowing yourself to rest to speed up your recovery.

But you could be in danger.

Todoroki rubbed his temples, trying to dismiss those worries, as he unconsciously sat on the bed. His eyes snapped open as he noticed that the ghost of your sweet scent still lingered in the air.

After running his palm against the bed covers, he brought his nose close to a pillow to inhale whatever perfume had been sprayed on it, but none of it remained.

For the faintest of seconds, his chest tightened in regret as he tightened his grip on the soft pillow. Was this inappropriate of him? To be imagining that you were here, in his arms?

Not that he had become entirely dependent on you, but the happiness you brought him had no match.

If only his father had never got involved with the two of you, he would have been so pleased to invite you over.

Even then, Todoroki struggled to admit to himself that, if you hadn't been thrust into his life, he would probably not know you as well as he did now. And further than that, these feelings he harboured for you wouldn't-

A pang struck his heart, making him shake his head sideways so that he could forsake such pessimistic thoughts.

Todoroki would have waited for you as if he was waiting for a stone to stop. But, how could he put you off when you were a matter of urgency?

Unbuttoning his formal, white shirt, he lied down on the bed, staring at the low ceiling. He would have given anything to have you here by his side.

---

Your mum's hands trembled underneath the tap, and instead of filling that glass of water to help you process what she was about to say, she dropped it.