47 | Fall

"My parents told me something today, and I think a little part of me died."

Todoroki let your words sink in, retracting his hand away from your tear-stained face and placing it against the bed covers.

As your eyes flickered up to meet his, you chewed down on your bottom lip. A crushing weight settled on your chest as you noticed the caring, soft expression he wore, which made breaking the devastating news tougher for you.

When your mum had packed her bags and left without an explanation, she had left all of this baggage behind for you and your dad to deal with by yourselves. You couldn't face doing the same to Todoroki. Not when you knew he had plenty of his own to have to deal with.

Yet, Todoroki could tell that even though you lay right before him, you weren't quite in the room. Disconnected, empty, as if denying reality had brought you this far and saying anything else would make you crumble.

And the last thing he wanted was to make you break.

So, he waited for you to reach this place, knowing that there were a million things he could quiz you on, but they were all secondary. He hoped to be your rock: he would be the reason when emotion prevailed, and sort out whatever had happened to you.

Thinking it was hard to understand what was going on through your mind as you took a sharp breath, Todoroki reached out to you again, lifting your chin. "What are you thinking about now?"

That I really, really don't want to lose you, but I'm not prepared to give up on my life-long dream, either.

You took his hand in yours, drawing it away from your face. But when your fingers touched, with a spark of electricity, the loneliness suddenly came undone. "I don't know where to start. I'm trying not to think too much about it, but it hurts."

"Here?" Todoroki pointed to his temple, his eyebrows knitting on his forehead.

Though you usually would have let out a heartfelt laugh, you let your head sink into the pillow, and you placed your hand against your aching chest. "No, here."

"There's no need to push yourself. Take your time."

You sat up, bringing your knees close to your chest, trying to occupy the least space you could. Even now... he's taking care of me. Even when he pulled the 'stay away from me' card, he was taking care of me, in his own silly way.

Todoroki's body mirrored yours at first, albeit out of instinct, but then he decided to get off the bed and circle you. He knelt in front of you, taking care not to make the floor creak so you could regain some focus on him.

Seconds later, your stomach let out such a loud growl that not only did it snap you out of your trance, but it also made you throw your hands up to your face.

At least the impromptu embarrassment had shaken off a little of that numbness that had settled deep inside you.

Todoroki titled his head to the side. "Perhaps, you could try pressing some pressure points that the complementary medicine book alluded to? It might help with indigestion."

As you gently closed your eyes and shook your head, you found yourself diving further into the rabbit hole, which replayed the pleasant memories you had shared with Todoroki. Boy how you missed those ordinary, joyful days when there wasn't so much to worry about.

No, no one could replace him. And nothing would ever be the same after you got this off your chest. How could this flavour of happiness ever return after taking its leave from your life?

As he crouched down, analysing that some light had returned to your eyes, he asserted, "I see, you've regained some of yourself."

"Thanks to you, Sho," you muttered. "You're the only one who knows how to."