chapter twenty

Draco and I had officially been dating for a month; however, he was yet to ask me to be his girlfriend. We'd still been trying our best to keep on the low which had so far been successful. It seemed as though Cormac had kept his mouth shut as Harry and Ron hadn't brought it up to me.

It was nearing Christmas break and I knew I wasn't going to see Draco for a couple of weeks, so I was spending a lot of my time with him. It was a Saturday and so we were taking a walk around the grounds together. The good thing about Hogwarts is that you can always discover something new.

We were walking through some trees before we came across a lake that we decided to sit beside as there was no one around.

"Are you excited for Christmas?" Draco asked me as I crossed my legs and intertwined our hands.

"Kind of, Harry's staying with us for Christmas." I sighed.

"What's wrong with that?"

"I don't know – things are always strange when he's around." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"How come?" Draco asked sincerely but I didn't really feel like talking about it.

"I don't know, he just leaves me out of everything." I said quietly before turning to him and changing the subject. "Anyways, I want to give you your Christmas present now before we leave."

"You didn't have to get me anything." Draco commented but was smiling anyways.

"Well, I did," I giggled, pulling a small box out of my coat pocket. "Open it!"

Draco looked at me curiously before opening the small box to reveal a silver ring.

"You're not proposing, are you?" Draco joked.

"No, idiot. It's a promise ring." I groaned before pulling a similar box from my other pocket and revealing that I had the same ring as him. His was engraved with a small 'A' on the inside whereas mine was engraved with a small 'D'. "You have to promise me something and put it on my finger, then I'll do the same."

"Okay," He smirked before taking my hand and kissing it softly. "I promise I'll always protect you." He said sincerely, sending shivers through my body as I couldn't contain my smile.

"I promise I'll always take care of you." I said in a gentle voice as I copied his actions. Draco smiled down at me before connecting our lips in a meaningful kiss.

"Thank you, Amelia." He mumbled against my lips. Draco broke our kiss before pulling out a box of his own. "Now your turn." He placed the box in my hands, and I smiled up at him, opening the box slowly. Inside of the box was a silver love heart shaped necklace. "Open it."

I took the necklace in my hands before opening up the small heart pendant revealing it as a locket. Inside, there was a small picture of Draco and I when we were in third year. We were in the common room with our faces squished together, me grinning and Draco making a stupid face. I felt like my heart stopped beating as a smile flooded throughout my face.

"I love it, Draco." I grinned before throwing my arms around him in a hug. "Put it on for me." I asked before handing him the locket and turning around, pushing my hair over my shoulder. Draco brought the necklace around my neck before locking the clasp behind me. Feeling completely overwhelmed with happiness, I turned back around to him before connecting our lips in a deep kiss. Everything about this moment felt right as our tongues danced together.

Before it got too heated, I pulled away from him and an impulsive idea popped into my head. I smirked at him and then turned to the lake.

"What?" Draco asked with a confused expression on his face.

Without responding, I stood up and threw my jacket off, goosebumps appeared on the skin of my arms and legs as I was wearing a black dress underneath.

"What are you doing, Amelia?" Draco quizzed me once again, but I simply responded with a giggle before running to the lake and slipping off my shoes. He stood up and began taking long strides towards me. "Amelia, you'll freeze to death!"

I took my wand out and kneeled down towards the lake before quickly casting a small spell. The ice on the lake from the December weather quickly melted into the now lukewarm water. I tossed my wand down at my feet and turned back to Draco with a smirk. He stopped in his tracks and watched my peel my black dress over my head, so I was now in just my bra and underwear. His mouth opened slightly but I didn't let him look for too long before I dived into the lake.

I swam around underneath the water for a few moments before hearing a splash beside me. I popped my head up above the water as Draco swam towards me.

"You're a head case, Potter." Draco smirked and I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he kept us both a float. I smirked in response before planting a kiss on his lips which he graciously returned. "Amelia?" He mumbled against my lips before pulling away.

"Yes?" I asked with my eyebrows furrowed.

"Would you like to be my girlfriend?" He said in a small voice, this was one of the first times I'd ever seen Draco look and sound nervous or vulnerable.

"Of course!" I cheered before attacking him with kisses once again.