Chapter 7:

Everyone's head swivels towards the door, where Mi Cha is pointing. 

Cami is one of the first people to let out a gasp. Everyone's reaction is different, though it displays the same emotion: shock. 

Because standing in the doorway is Avelyn Roberts, the girl who has been absent for approximately a month, after being found near the bottom of a cliff unconscious. 

Avelyn looks different, Sera notices, studying her classmate's figure. More hesitant, frailer, less confident. . . 

She has the same wavy golden hair, the same immaculate peachy skin — but the only thing wrong with the picture is her eyes. 

The hesitant quality, fear surrounding those blue eyes of hers. 

"Avelyn!" Mi Cha squeals, gathering the tall girl in a hug. "Oh my God, everyone has been asking where you were! Are you okay?" 

Avelyn carefully untangles herself from Mi Cha. "I'm fine," she replies before her gaze drops down to the floor. "Um, who are you?" 

That question — it makes everyone in the room let out an exhale like they were holding their breath from the very beginning. 

"You don't know who I am?" Mi Cha stammers, shock displayed on her features. "I'm your best friend, Mi Cha." 

Avelyn tries for a smile. "Oh." No recognition in her voice. "Hi, Mi Cha." 

 It is evident that she doesn't remember anything. 

It was those merpeople, Sera thinks, eyebrows furrowing together. They were the ones who made her forget. 

"I can't believe you would forget me!" Mi Cha says, eyes welling with tears. "I am your best friend and you don't just forget your best friend!" 

Avelyn takes another step back, as if unsure what to do. 

This Avelyn is definitely different, Sera muses. The old Avelyn probably would've made a snarky comment. 

"I'm sorry." Avelyn bows her head, apology filling her face. "The doctor said my memory should come back eventually." 

Uncomfortable silence descends the whole classroom. It isn't until they hear the teacher's familiar high-heels clicking against the ground that they move to their seats. 

"Good morning, Mrs. Stone!" the class choruses, their ankles touching daintily, hands neatly folded on their wooden desks. 

Mrs. Stone lifts her chin in a haughty motion, her lips pursed into a thin line. "Ah," she says, after her dark eyes land on Avelyn. "I see our star student has arrived." 

Avelyn squirms visibly. She is the only person standing. "Where do I sit?" she asks in a meek voice. 

Mrs. Stone narrows her eyes. "You will sit over there," the teacher finally says, something like pity sliding through her expression. 

A silent gasp ripples through the room. For this harsh teacher to use a soft tone, it's almost an unbelievable sight. 

Avelyn sinks away, sliding into the empty seat beside Sera. "Hi," Avelyn says, voice softer than normal. "I'm Avelyn." 

"I know," Sera says kindly. "I'm Sera." 

"Everyone's staring at me, aren't they?" Avelyn groans, twirling a lock of gold hair around her finger. "I'm so embarrassed." 

"It's not that bad." Sera smiles awkwardly. "You just came back after a month of being absent, so it would kind of make sense if everyone's staring." 

Avelyn drops her gaze. "Yeah, but I hate the attention," she mumbles. "It's like, can't people just mind their own business?" 

Sera almost lets her jaw drop, as she continues to stare at this stranger. If Avelyn had told her a month ago that she hates the attention, Sera would've just scoffed. 

Because this is Avelyn Roberts they're talking about — the girl everyone deemed as "attention-craving" and "manipulative" and, as popularity goes, the "it" girl. 

Cami, who's sitting on the other side of Avelyn, shoots her a look of disbelief. "You're joking, yeah?" Cami asks, narrowing her eyes in suspicion. 

Avelyn sits up straighter. "I'm not joking," Avelyn says. "I don't like the attention. It's really uncomfortable." 

"I call bull on her," Cami says while sneaking a side glance at the teacher, who's currently writing on the blackboard. 

"Excuse me?" Avelyn huffs, annoyance sparking in her eyes. "You do realize I'm right here, right? How would you feel if you lost your memory?" 

Cami shrugs, disinterested. "Sorry, but once a mean girl, always a mean girl," Cami replies. "You like attention. Just admit it." 

Sera hesitates, feeling the tension grow in the air. "Maybe she's not lying," Sera says quickly. "Because it doesn't seem like she's trying to do anything." 

"Have you not remembered all the things Avelyn has done to us? No offense, but I think that the whole amnesia thing is fake, a ruse just to get more attention." 

Cami says those words too loud, and everyone turns to stare at her. "Ms. Wilson," the teacher says sternly. "Do you have anything to say to the class?" 

Cami vaults up to her feet. "Yes, Mrs. Stone, I do," Cami says boldly, voice dripping with venom. "I think that Avelyn Robert's whole amnesia thing is a lie!" 

There are scattered gasps throughout the classroom. Sera wills her friend to sit down, trying to communicate telepathically. 

Please sit down, Cami, Sera thinks desperately. You're going to end up getting in trouble. 

If Cami notices the scorching looks Sera is sending, she ignores it. 

"What?" Avelyn stammers, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment. "Why would I lie about having amnesia—"

"Because you are a liar," Cami lashes back. "Not trying to be offensive or anything, Your Royal Highness." 

Cami is blunt, but she normally doesn't go this far. Maybe it had something to do with her history involving Avelyn. 

"Sit down, Ms. Cami!" the teacher barks. "Unless you want detention?" 

After shooting Avelyn a hateful look, Cami finally plunks back down in her seat. But not before mouthing "you're going down" to her enemy.