eighteen

Harry Styles

My eyes trailed her frail limp body as she trudged back into the house, I noticed how her hands were trembling at her sides, her shoulders slouched. A small frown was painted on my lips, as it pained me to see her in such a fragile state. Her dark hair fell on her shoulders, tangled in a mess, as her sad, bloodshot eyes looked into mine. The caramel swirls in her eyes held a glint of emptiness inside of them. They were pale and dreary as if there was no life left inside of them. She looked like death but in the most beautiful way possible. She stood there in her stance, not moving a single limb. 

The walk back home held an eery silence after she had thanked for me what I've done. I would've appreciated those words before if I didn't care for her as much as I do now. It pained me knowing that she was brinking towards the edge. It was as if she's had enough, that she couldn't take any more curveballs being thrown at her. I wish I hadn't told her the truth and I felt utterly stupid for thinking she wouldn't react the way that she did. 

But I had to tell her. The way her eyes were pleading into mine, begging for the truth, begging for me to open up to her. Before I had grown to care for her, I wouldn't have uttered a peep to her, and this wouldn't be happening right now. Part of the job was to never talk about the cases and missions we go through, and yet one simple look into her warm brown eyes and her facial features in distress, my knees had gotten weak and I felt my heart pang against my chest as the word vomit erupted from my lips. 

I found myself walking towards her, enveloping her in a warm hug, as she stood still, letting me take her into her chest. She didn't move a limb, her arms still stay at her sides, her feet planted to the floor as my long arms wrapped around her. The cold touch of her skin made me frown, realizing how numb she must be feeling from the cold weather that had swarmed her when she was out there all alone. 

My heart sank to my stomach at the thought of what had happened just moments ago. Just the sight of the gun to her head made me shrivel and queasy, and when I had found her like that, it seemed as if my whole world had frozen and the only thing that mattered was the sad broken girl begging for her life. It made me fucking furious thinking about Peter and how he had put her in that state, and I felt my teeth grinding against one another to ease the anger running through me. I didn't want to come off weak when I had caught sight of it, not wanting to let of my cold exterior, because no Cobra-13 agent was ever weak. 

I let go of her frail body, as she stayed planted to the floor, her eyes staring down to her feet. I let out a long sigh, my hand running up and down her arm to warm her, hoping the heat will warm up her cold body. 

"Would you like to have a warm bath? I can start it up for you," I suggested, my eyes wandering all over her body, but soon staying fixated on her distant eyes that didn't want to look at mine. Her lips sat in a straight line, her features stone-cold, holding not one single emotion. We sat there in silence as I huffed under my breath in concern. 

My hand reached for her arm tenderly, pulling her behind me as we walked into the hallway reaching the bathroom. She followed me inside, her face still holding the same expressionless state. My chest hurt at the sight of her and it made me feel so helpless watching her. I hated myself for even caring, for even caring about how she felt. I despised the fact that she had completely gotten me wrapped around her finger, and she didn't even realize it. 

I don't even remember the last time I ever cared for someone. This newfound feeling I had for her was so unknown and abnormal to me. It made me want to rip my hair out, causing me to go fucking insane. I couldn't be selfish though, not around her. This has to be about her, not me. Especially tonight. I pushed my ridiculous feelings to the side as my fingers started to caress the delicate skin on her hands. Her face looked up at me, the pale brown eyes piercing through me. There were no emotions detected in them and it felt like she was looking right through me. I sighed heavily as I turned away from her, feeling my chest go up and down rapidly.