dallas|animal, the neon trees

"here we go again, i kinda wanna be more than friends"

animal|neon trees

it seemed like everything he did was just to torture you. of course, he wasn't doing it on purpose. in fact, he wasn't even aware of what he was doing. you wished the saint christopher hanging on his neck was dangling in your face. you wished his shirt was on you with nothing else under it instead of on him. you wished his lips were on your neck instead of holding a cigarette. he would never know any of this. at least not until you could actually find the right words to tell him that you were completely in love with him.

"hey, you alright?" dally asked while snapping his fingers next to your face. for a second, you forgot you were even at the curtis house. that wasn't the first time you spaced out thinking about him, and it probably wouldn't be the last.

without responding, you got up and went out the door. the cool night air was refreshing. it cleared your mind. calmed you down. it distracted you from thinking about him. everything just seemed better when you didn't have to pretend to be just one of his friends.

you sat down on the porch stairs. a few seconds later, the screen door creaked open and then flung shut. just by the sound of the footsteps, you could tell it was dally. they stopped and were replaced with the strike of a match before continuing. he lowered himself next to you while pulling a cigarette from his coat pocket. the conflicting feeling of wanting him to comfort you and not wanting him anywhere near you was overwhelming.

"did i say something wrong back there?" he asked.

you sighed. "no. i'm just feeling weird tonight."

"you've been acting weird too." he offered you his cigarette. with hesitation, you took it from him.  "actually, you've been acting weird for a while now. what's bothering you?"

a small chuckle escaped from you. "since when does dallas winston care about how other people are feeling?"

"it's you. how could i not care?" 

those words made a shiver shoot up your spine.

"you wouldn't know what to say if i told you what was bothering me. "

"try me."

you stubbed the cigarette out on the ground.
"alright. i've been acting weird because i'm so fucking in love with you it hurts. it physically, mentally, and emotionally hurts." the lump in your throat felt like it was the size of a baseball. "and i didn't want to say anything because i was afraid it would make things awkward between us if you didn't feel the same way."

by the time you were finished there were tears trickling down your cheeks. dally seemed unfazed. the fact that he wasn't even reacting made you unbelievably angry. you got up, ready to stomp back inside and spend the rest of the night in regret of even telling him anything.

in one swift motion, dally tugged you back down to his level and pulled your lips towards his.
the fantasy you've imagined countless times in your head was now becoming a reality. for the longest time, you thought about what this exact moment would feel like. you always wondered what would be running through your head and how fast your heart would be beating. everything happened so fast that you didn't have time to form a coherent thought about any of those things.

"i take it you feel the same way?" you said, breaking the kiss.

"i would say that."

you smiled while pulling him in by his shirt for a second kiss. one that you had time to think about. when it was over, you felt the most at peace you felt in a long time.

i'm sorry if this is bad, i tried my best. i usually just write for laughs so this was a little more difficult for me to piece together. in other news i started an edits account on insta. it's @almond.extracts and if u would follow it i'll love u forever and bake u some cookies 🥺. there's a dally edit and a 60s edit on there right now. i'm just starting out so it's nothing fancy. as always, thanks for reading and love you all 💞

addition: please sign petitions, educate yourself and others, and donate if you can to support the blm movement! as a white girl i'm trying to be the best ally i can be. to my black readers: the injustice and completely unjustified hatred you experience on a daily basis is disgusting and unacceptable. you are amazing and i love you.