Sweet Girl

Daniel Richards. My second father. He's about thirty five, and he's living his life as an auto mechanic. He told me some stories about how much of a dick he was in high school, but it's hard to believe him. I guess he learned from his mistakes because he's one of the best people I have ever met. I'm pretty lucky to be able to know a guy like him. His father is a great guy also, but I'm not as close with him as I am Daniel.

"Hey, Danny boy, you have a visitor."

"Who is it, dad?"

"Why don't you come out and see?"

Daniel peers around the corner, and when he sees me, he runs towards me. I'm soon lifted into his arms as he says hi to me.

"How are you, sweet girl?"

Everyone that actually knows and likes me, calls me sweet girl. I don't know what 'kitten' means, but Brixton seems to like me.

"I'm good, Danny. How are you? How's the business?"

"Everything is going very well. What have you been up to lately?"

"Nothing much. I just need a new part for my car."

"Didn't you just finish fixing up your car?"

"Yeah, but something happened and I need a replacement."

"What happened?"

"Oh, nothing big. It was an accident, and I just need a new engine wire harness."

Danny gives me a look, not believing a word I say.

"Are you being honest with me?"

"Not exactly."

"Why don't we have a private chat then?"

"No, it's all good."

"Reign..."

"Okay, fine. Let's talk. I have to warn you though. You might not like what I have to say."

"I never said I had to."

"Danny, I'm being serious. Don't blow up, okay?"

"Alright. I promise I won't."

Danny turns to his dad and asks him to handle things in the repair shop for a few minutes. Danny and I disappear behind the office door, and we sit on the couch that the office holds. I lean my arm against the top of it, laying my head on my hand, so my body tilts slightly. Danny hands me a glass of water.

"Thank you."

"Yeah, no problem. Tell me what's going on."

I take a deep breath.

"Let me start from the beginning."

"Alright."

"You know how my parents are. Overbearing, protective, competitive, and controlling. Well, it's not only them, but my grandma. The three of them influence each other to force me to do things. Somehow, before coming to UCLA, I was somehow roped into joining a sorority."

"What sorority?"

"Kappa Alpha Theta."

"Damn. The place is fucking expensive. Who's paying for it?"

"Who do you think, Danny?"

"No way. You're paying for it?"

"Why else would I have to take two jobs? It's not for fun."

"Shit..."

"Yeah, shit."

"Keep going with your story."