•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - E i g h t•

Songs for chapter thirty eight: 1

1. New York City by The Chainsmokers (seriously listen to this)
2. See You Again by Charlie Puth [no rap]

|Skyler|

I busted into my room right when I made it home, and pretty much cried my eyes out until I ran out of tears. I expected Aden to call or text throughout the day or even after school, but he never did. He didn't show up for gym class either, though I agree it would've been tougher if he went about the class ignoring me.

I told Josie immediately after it happened, and to say she was furious was an understatement. She threatened to slap some sense into Aden, and to commit a crime to get rid of McKenna. Ryan stared at me with little emotion as I explained to him what happened, and he tried to sympathize with me with an awkward pat on the back as he told me he would talk to Aden — all the while stuffing a burrito in his face.

I'd gone to bed, my blood still boiling in anger but at the same time my heart lurched uncomfortably whenever I thought of Aden. He had twisted my words against me when I was trying to tell him about something that I was concerned about. Why were we even in a relationship if we couldn't communicate our issues to one another? I didn't mean to feel so bitter about it all, but I did.

This would be the first night that I'd go without talking with Aden over the phone. Even though I was still super angry I just wanted to hear his voice again — as pathetic as that sounded. The stuffed animal Aden gave me sat in the corner of my bed, and I had pitifully slept with it all night.

I wanted us to make up. I would apologize for raising my voice and I wanted him to apologize for twisting my words because I did trust him. This whole issue wasn't even about him, it was about McKenna. I couldn't give a flying fuck about what she and Aden used to be, but it mattered that she was still obsessed with him and he couldn't even see it.

I just wanted to talk to him.

But I wasn't about to call or text first even though I wanted work things out. I knew I didn't do anything wrong, as stubborn as that was.

He'd made me happy in the darkest times, and I didn't want to lose him over something that could be solved so easily.

So even though it went against my pride, I sent him a text the next morning. But, I got no response.

He wasn't in chemistry that day and the desk next to mine was cold and empty. I knew for a fact he wasn't sick since I saw his car parked in the lot. He'd deliberately missed class just to avoid me, and as much as it infuriated me, I didn't miss the crushing sensation that I felt in my heart. It was like he didn't even want to talk things out.

When the bell rang for the class to end, I left the room alone, for the first time since Aden and I began talking.

"Skyler, wait up!" a voice called out to me when I stepped into the hallway and Austin fell into step with me a moment later. He looked as great as he always did, in all his glory. His soccer jersey on instead of a normal shirt.