Chapter Fifty: Forever.

Samantha

It's been six months since I moved in with Harley. And I've never been happier.

It's not like we did something new and special every single day. We didn't have to because every day felt naturally new and special.

And it was something I'd never felt before. Late at night, I think about how it would've been if we'd gotten together earlier, if we'd somehow found each other before twelve years went by. But now, I think it was for the best.

This new, improved, beautiful version of her feels more. . . special that way.

"What's going on in that head?" she asked, interrupting my thoughts.

I moved closer to her as she threw an arm around me.

"Nothing much."

"Were you thinking about me again?"

"How do you know?"

"When are you not?"

I playfully slapped her arm.

"Shut up," I said.

She chuckled and switched off the TV. It was a Saturday afternoon and we usually just sat around and watched shows together.

"Norah called me last night."

"Oh," I said, adjusting myself on the couch to look up at her. "What did she say?"

"She might come to visit later today."

"That's nice," I replied.

She let out a sigh and sat up straight, taking her arm off me.

"You nervous or something?" I asked.

"I feel like it might be awkward."

"Not really. We've all moved on, right?"

She looked hesitant. 

"Right?" I asked again.

"I-I guess."

"I'll clean up and prepare dinner then, you know, for the evening. Is she coming in the evening?"

"Eight."

"Ok, great, sleep it off for a bit. I'll wake you up when it's time," I said, getting up.

"Okay," she said, a small, nervous smile lingering on her lips.

***

I spent the rest of the day preparing dinner and polishing up the house. The sun set before I knew and I woke Harley up at seven.

We set the table together before settling into the couch, waiting for her to arrive.

Soon, the doorbell rang and I went to open it and greet her, Harley following close behind.

I was greeted by pale grey eyes, heavily lined, pale lips stretched into a small smile.

"Hello, Samantha," she said, meekly.

I smiled warmly and pulled her into a hug.

"Hey, Norah," I said, slowly letting go.

I stepped to the side to let her in and she nodded stiffly at Harley who simply nodded back in response.

I rolled my eyes.

"Hug it out already, Jesus," I said, moving past them and walking back inside.

I didn't bother checking whether they actually did, in fact, hug it out.

"Oh no, you didn't have to do all this," Norah said, chuckling nervously as she looked down at the elaborate dinner.