Chapter 24

Miranda's POV

I watched as a dark-haired dwarf with a regal bearing entered Bilbo's home.

"Gandalf, I thought you said this place would be easy to find." The dwarf said.

"Bilbo," Gandalf said, "Let me introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield."

"So," Thorin said, crossing his arms, "This is the hobbit. Tell me Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?"

"Pardon?" Bilbo asked.

"Axe or sword? What is your weapon of choice?" Thorin questioned him.

At this point I stopped listening and slipped from one shadow to the next. I went to brew some tea as I knew when Bilbo heard about Smaug he would probably faint. Once the tea was ready, I returned and found them arguing.

"Enough!" Thorin yelled. "If we have read the signs, do you not think others have read them too?! Rumors have begun to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for 60 years. Eyes look east to the mountain assessing, wondering, weighing the risk. Perhaps now the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back, let others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erabor?!"

As they continued to converse, I thought if I should tell them Smaug still lives. But how would I explain to them how I know? No. It was better to keep it a secret.

"I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Baggins, he is hardly burglar material." Balin said.

"That is where you are wrong, Balin," I said, coming out of the shadows.

"Indeed, hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose to. And while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of dwarf, the sent of hobbit is all but unknown to him which gives us a distinct advantage." Gandalf added, looking as if his heart had jumped to his throat.

"How long have you been there?" Bofur asked.

"Since before any of you got here." I said.

"Who is this?!" Thorin asked angrily.

"I am a friend," I said.

"Who are you? I refuse to trust someone I cannot see!" He exclaimed angrily.

"I feel you would trust me less if you could see me," I said. "This should get me some points though." I added as I pulled out the talon.

"Is that what I think it is?" Balin asked.

"A dragon talon!" Gandalf exclaimed. "However, did you get one?"

"It was my Adar's," I said.

"Your what?!" Thorin shouted, recognizing elvish.

"My father's." I stated.

"I thought you never knew your father?" Bilbo asked.

"That is true," I stated, "But I have had many father figures in my life."

"Show me your face and I will decide whether or not to take you with us." Thorin said with authority in his voice.

"I warn you Thorin Oakenshield, you should not judge a book by it's cover." I said, as I slowly pulled off my hood.