𝘅𝘃𝗶𝗶. chapter seventeen.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xvii. CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

 CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

ABRAXAS MALFOY.
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH everyone?" Briar asked, as she walked out of Charms with Gemma the next morning. Mulciber had been the third Slytherin today to glare at her like she murdered his father, and Briar couldn't fathom what was going on. She'd never spoken to him in her life!

"Hm?" Gemma asked, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, you mean the dark looks? Well, I suppose you might as well know. Bellatrix has been spreading some... unflattering things about you. Something to do with how you betrayed the entire house or some crap like that. Don't worry. Anybody with sense knows to take Bellatrix Black with a pinch of salt."

"I didn't betray the house!" Briar snapped, annoyed. "And I'm tired of the glares. I told Professor Dumbledore what I saw. What, she didn't think I was going to lie for her, did she? Like she's made my life any easier over the past few years."

Gemma frowned. "No, but she'll probably make it a lot more difficult now. Bellatrix enjoys holding grudges. It's one of her favorite hobbies; comes right after hexing innocent first years."

Briar sighed, exasperated. She had enough to think about without having all her housemates turned against her. What was their problem, anyway? Slytherins were never big on loyalty; they did what they had to do to get what they wanted. Backstabbing and betrayals were a common consequence of that.

"Ow!" Briar hissed, as a large seventh-year Slytherin rammed into her, hard. Briar dropped her bag and her books, papers flying around everywhere. She turned to glare at him, but he simply gave her a smile and was gone. "Bloody arse."

Gemma frowned, looking at the mess that Briar's bag and ink bottles had created on the floor. "That's going to take a while to clean up..."

Briar shrugged, bending down to pick up her things. "It's all right, you go ahead. I have a free period now anyway, I don't want to make you late to your class."

"Are you sure?"

Briar nodded, and Gemma left. She started to gather her things, and stuff them back into her bag. An arm shot out in front of her, and handed her a sheaf of paper. Glancing up, she met the eyes of Sirius Black.

"Out of the Hospital Wing already?" she asked him, taking the parchment, gratefully. Sirius waved his wand, and some of the sheets which had flown away due to the wind came back.

"You sound disappointed."

Briar smiled. "I'm not. I was just wondering. How are your friends?"