xxxiv. Quidditch Queen

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter thirty four | quidditch queen

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY, that Kaya Bennett was a lover of, many, many, things - one of which was playing Quidditch. So, when the day of the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts came (Hufflepuff's slot being just before Gryffindors), she could barely concentrate in her lessons, for the thought of getting back into her canary yellow and black Quidditch gear had her on cloud nine.

Which was a good thing, really, because for the first time this year, she'd managed to get through a Transfiguration lesson without her eyes sparkling with tears at the sight of Cedric's empty seat. Kaya had moved next to Fred in that lesson - since McGonagall would never let him sit next to Lee, and she didn't have a problem with the brunette Hufflepuff, so she couldn't exactly stop them - in fact, she was quite intrigued at the new pairing. She'd eyed them curiously for a moment as she took the register - and Fred looked extremely pleased with himself as he proceeded to give Kaya's small hand a squeeze under the desk.

"You're chirpy," he said, smiling warmly at Kaya's small grin and bright eyes as she scribbled down some notes.

"Yeah!" she replied joyfully. "I can't wait for Quidditch, later. I forgot how much I enjoyed it, I'd have probably played more of it in the summer, if it wasn't for... the move..." her voice lowered, trying to find the best code name for Grimmauld Place, just in case anybody was listening in.

"Yeah, well, ours is straight after yours. You'll have to stay and watch me work my magic, after I've seen yours," he added with a wink.

"Ah yes, the magic of hitting some heavy metal balls,"

"Also known as the magic of showing off my huge muscles," said Fred with a smirk. Kaya let out a laugh.

"Oh, well, I obviously can't wait then, Mr. Muscle," she said, playfully giving his bicep resting on the desk a squeeze.

"I know you can't,"

"And you can't wait to see me speeding around the pitch. I'm a zoomer, I'm practically the Snitch,"

"Yeah, well, you are dressed in yellow. Perhaps if you're as fast as you say, the Seeker'll confuse you with the Snitch," he grinned. "How many positions on your team need filling in?"

"Er..." Kaya said, blinking in deep thought. "Not many, I don't think... we need one new Chaser, that Zacharias is still on the team, as far as I know,"

The red-headed boy cringed. "The cocky one a few years below?"

"Yeah, that's him," Kaya nodded. "He's a twat, but he's an okay Chaser, so... and he's our Captain now, apparently, however that happened. Still, he's not as good as me, obviously," she added, with a playful wink. Fred grinned.