♧ [V1 || Chapter 05] ♧

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

"It's a miracle, Master, Madam!" the elderly doctor chattered animatedly. I assumed it was that Dr. Yulem person that Duchess Alcmene called for earlier. Of course, everything he was saying tuned out of my ears and went the other way. I was still in a daze from the realisation that I might have reincarnated into the webnovel I had been reading before I died. Is this even possible?

I've read other novels about reincarnation and transmigration before, but to have it actually happen to yourself?

It's not as easy to fully process.

"She's been completely healed! There are no signs of her illness anywhere. I can only assume this is by the grace of the Moon Deity"

"That's wonderful!" Duchess Alcmene sobbed into her husband's arms. Duke Alcmene was almost shedding tears himself, however, he held back for his wife's sake.

"Are you completely certain she's alright? Are there no traces of her illness anywhere?" the duke asked for the fifth time tonight.

"Yes, Your Grace! With a few weeks of rest and recovery, she'll be back to her healthy self"

"Did you hear that, honey?"

"I do, darling. Our baby girl will be alright!" the duke hugged his wife.

From my knowledge of Evangeline's circumstances in the story, she had never been sick. Ever. 

Not once was it mentioned in the novel that she had ever been fatally ill. However, according to the bits and pieces I've managed to pick up from Dr. Yulem, Evangeline had been struck by a deadly illness a few months ago and wasn't expected to survive past summer. About two weeks prior, she fell into a deep coma and had not woken up since. Dr. Yulem told the Alcmene couple to expect the worst.

But, all of a sudden, Evangeline had woken up and her previous disease was completely healed.

Of course, it wasn't Evangeline who had woken up but, me instead.

So, does that mean the real Evangeline died?

I felt a chill run down my spine. If I was in her body, where was she now?

"Oh, my dear! Are you cold?" Duchess Alcmene fussed upon seeing me shiver all of a sudden. She wrapped my shoulders with a shawl and held me in her arms. Even though her warmth had spread across my body, I didn't feel alright accepting it. Instead, I was sad.

The Alcmene couple reminded me of my own parents and thinking about how devastated they must be that 'May' died, I also felt sorry for Evangeline's parents. Unlike my own parents who probably had closure on my death, Evangeline's mother and father do not know their daughter had died.

Like mine, her parents didn't even get to see her during her final moments.

I felt my eyes growing wet again. I didn't know whether I was sad for Evangeline or myself at this point. Maybe I was weeping for the both of us. 

"Evangeline! Why are you crying? Are you feeling sick? Dr. Yulem, come quickly!" Duke Alcmene cried out in surprise. Dr. Yulem was in the middle of packing up his things but, stopped at Duke Alcmene's words. He walked over to me in a hurry, ready to check my condition but I shook my head.

"I- I'm just tired"

....And confused. And lost. And scared.

"Mhmm... We'll leave you to rest," the duchess softly caressed my hair.

As soon as everyone had left the room, I pushed the covers aside and stood up. I walked towards the full body mirror in the corner of the room. My reflection slowly appeared as I stepped in front of it.

I gasped, my knees going weak at the sight before me.

Although all shreds of evidence points towards the fact that I was no longer "May", still there was a tiny piece of hope in my heart that I might have been mistaken or I was simply having a lucid dream. As ridiculous as it sounds, maybe it could have even all been an elaborate prank set up by my younger brother or my friends.

But unlike human beings, the mirror doesn't lie.

The girl reflected in front of me did not have black hair and brown eyes, she had hazel brown hair and violet eyes. Her skin was incredibly pale to the point that it looked almost translucent. 

The skin around her eyes and cheeks was visibly sunken, showing a haggard, sickly impression. Despite the ghostly look, the description of her appearance no doubt matches the one described by the author.

Reality had spoken to me loud and clear.

I really am in Evangeline Amelia Alcmene's body.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙