26

Soana never thought the day would come when she would marry Prince Zuko. Although she had been beaten and bruised the last time she was conscious and had been burned not even a full day later, she still looked decent.

Her burned arm was covered in a wrap of herbal remedies that the healers of the Fire Nation used for her. Her back didn't sting as bad as the burn did on her forearm, however, she could manage with the pain.

The handmaidens who helped her with her dress walked her out of the bedroom and down the hall where many guards stood waiting for Soana.

"Princess Soana," The highest ranking guard bowed to her as did the other five.
"We will be escorting you to the ceremony."

Soana nodded but didn't dare speak. She was far too upset on this day to mainly do anything for herself. She felt too useless beyond her recognition.

Her handmaidens left her with the guards and began escorting her to the ceremony by foot that was held in the botanical garden in the heart of the palace.

"All rise for Princess Soana of the Northern Water Tribe!" A herald announced at the thin doors that separated her from the ceremony.

A loud rumble of people standing had been heard by Soana before the first of guards in front of her emerged and opened the set of doors.

The second they opened, Soana took in the view of the wedding. So many people on both sides, but she did not know a single soul there.

In a moment of panic, she wished for her sister to be here, but that couldn't happen. Then she thought about her father, but she also did not see him anywhere among the guests.

She was alone on what was suppose to be the happiest day of her life.

After the second pair of guards stepped away, Soana was fully exposed to the entire ceremony. Thankfully they couldn't see the mix of terrified or sorrowful emotions thanks to the veil over her face, but deep down she felt that they could hear how loud her broken heart was thumping.

The sound of an Erhu began to play, making the princess straightened her posture painfully and politely tuck her arms into the opposite to start walking like a royal.

She fought to keep her head up and look at Zuko in his Fire Nation armor but the hatred was still burning larger than the love she had for him.

When she looked at him smiling with his soft, caring grin, she knew who she was looking at was the real Zuko, however, she did not smile back. She was already afraid of what he did to her arm. She often wondered since then what else he could be capable of.

She had over one hundred people staring at her from different angles but two in particular stood out.
Soana looked over the alter to see the Firelord and Azula sitting with straight, intimidating postures and smirks that both father and daughter shared.

They must have know Soana was looking at them because she saw Firelord Ozai's shoulders shake, chuckling villainy.

She avoided their stares and finally got to Zuko when the sound of the Erhu disappeared.

Her and Zuko held hands and looked at each other as the ceremony begun.

"You're beautiful." Zuko complimented Soana, but she ignored him purposely by looking at her feet, clearly upset through her veil.