Chapter 15

Fifteen
☢☢☢

Jay dropped me off in front of my dorm. We barely talked on the way. After almost having sex in the elevator, none of us were exactly sure where we were again, only feeling more awkward but crystal clear of how attracted we were to each other. With a low hum, he parked the car outside the entrance. I decided I wouldn't be the one initiating a conversation like I was pursuing him so I unbuckled my seat belt without a word and opened the door.

"Lola." I heard him say and suddenly felt a tug in my heart.

I looked back at him.

He held my gaze for a while and I seemed to see a storm of conflict gyrating in his eyes.

"I know I've been an ass," he said. "It's because I never planned for this. I never planned to actually like you. I thought it would be fun so I took you out." He paused and when I said nothing, he continued, "If you're with me, you could be in trouble, Lola. I want you far from all this shit. And the more I see you, the more I want you. I can't help it but if you can, you stay away from me."

We fought, we made out, we made little kids scream with our kissing. . . he talked shit sometimes, he drove me mad, he took me over the moon and back, I loved it all. Surely it's stupid that these little, normal things could make me want someone this bad but in each of the things he does, he had a way of making me feel him everywhere, he made them his own, and it made me crave for him like a drug I can't live without.

"What if I feel the same?" I asked him.

He looked at me softly and shook his head, "You can't, Lola. Better you run."

"I don't want to, Jay! I wanna be with you!" My breath hitched, shaking, and I found myself nearly crying. I couldn't even help thinking of not seeing him again. I'd rather see the world end.

He reached out, cupped my face, and kissed me hard.

Yet he said, "You can't."

"I don't care." I kissed him back. "I really don't care."

He pulled my face closer and deepened the kiss; my world made complete. I wanted nothing more but to have his hands on me, to have him kiss me endlessly.

"You're really stupid," he said.

I nodded hastily and kissed him again. He broke off after a while and opened the door for me. "You need to get inside before people see us."

"Okay."

He kissed me more.

"Okay. Go. I'll see you tonight."

"Okay."

With one last kiss, I got out of the car and strode inside the building a little breathless. I straightened my shirt, smoothed down my hair, and stepped inside my room. Seemingly half dead, I found Vanessa lying frontally on her bed with her hair falling over the edge of the bed. She raised her neck to look at me. Her vision veiled by the thick layer of brunette hair, she pried them open in the middle and gazed up at me.

"Where were you?" She groaned.

"Jay."

"Oh, that's good. I thought you slept with Nathan."

"Nathan?! Why would I sleep with Nathan?"

"I saw you kissing him, bitch." She groaned again and fell back to sleep while I froze on my spot appalled at the news.

I kissed Nathan?!

"Did Jay see me with him? Vanessa. Wake up!"

"Shut up!"