~61~

The maids swarm in. Hurriedly. It was almost seven in the morning and everything had to be properly set before the clock struck.

Now that the Chairman was around, the traditional way of gathering around the large dining table every day for breakfast would no longer be skipped as the rest of the family did during his absence.

Breakfast was and had always been at seven in the morning. Anything past that was highly unacceptable as he believed greatly in punctuality and discipline.

The godfather clock hit the hour with a deafening clang that echoed throughout the glittering hallway that led to the massive dining hall, followed by the loud silence established heavily upon the family of four seated before varieties of dishes that spread out on the table.

The thick quietness lingered for Helbert to make the first move. It was customary and none of them ever had a choice. Their father valued respect and courtesy so it was highly essential they waited for him to take the first bite before they did.

Herbert grasped the needed cutleries, and with practiced speed, brought it up to his face to scrutinize for any single sign of dirt.

Satisfied with what he saw, he lowered the silverware items above his food, cutting into the soft flesh, and bringing it near his lips with utmost ease as though it was his favorite dish. His movements were precise, and soon he took a spoonful into his mouth without missing a beat. Only after he tasted the roasted flavor of the meal did he finally acknowledge the silence of the whole house, giving a slight nod at the other members present to proceed to eat.

There was absolutely no conversation that arose during breakfast as they ate in complete peace. Eating in silence was another normal event for the Stanelys. But their mother deliberately failed to keep this etiquette any chance she got when her husband was away, keeping Ashley's matters on track every time. At least the change would give a little truce to Jayden's hearing.

Breakfast came to an end in a few minutes and as usual, some of the surplus food would go to waste. The workers flooded in again and cleared the table within minutes, leaving only some needed edibles.

They were done dining but no one dared to leave. For it was the moment Helbert was going to give his 'speech.' He arrived in the middle of the night and postponed any family meeting till the next morning.

Helbert scanned his wife and children, quietly astounded by how much his two kids had changed over the few years. His eyes stopped upon his eldest and then he smiled at him, before saying calmly: "Son,"

Jayden lifted his head to look at his father, wondering why the other man always decided to start his speech with him.

"I know you are mad at this old man for not coming to see you during your stay at the hospital. You know, I have been busy with international affairs." Helbert explained, pouring a drink to offer his son as a token of his apology.

Jayden scoffed, voicelessly. There was no need for such a hypocritical apology as there were many other cruel things apart from paying a visit to his comatose son that the man was capable of.

"It was nothing that I almost didn't notice, father," he responded with a biting tone, accepting the glass of white wine, and he could almost see the disapproving glare of his doctor's face on the crystal clear liquid, like a reflection of her usual reaction whenever he held liquor. "I'm on a diet that bans alcohol," He added quickly, with an obvious sarcasm dripping out of his words, before placing the cup aside.

There was an unmistakable grudge hidden deep in his first sentence, one which his father didn't miss, and it ironically caused him to laugh softly to himself, the corner of his lips twitching in dark humor. "I see." He nodded, with a shadowed smile curling along his full lower lip. "So, if that's the case, how is your health, son? One could hardly believe you were involved in a car accident."