The Evil Twin

Chapter Twenty-Four

A/N :Listen to The Neighbourhood's 'Everybody's Watching Me (Uh Oh)

The Evil Twin

Peyton's P.O.V

         "Two years ago, when we were both sixteen, my brother tried to kill me." Raphael confided in me. I sat with him, on the bed, in the dark. "I guess some would say it wasn't his fault, but for our family...it was horrifying." He sat two inches away from me, gripping my hand tightly. I was determined not to interrupt at all throughout this entire story. I waited for him to continue.

    "So as you know, there are only eight Angelwolves in the entire world. Me, Faye, Aleara, Raven, Emily, Dylan, Carlos and Derrick. Well, it wasn't always that way. I guess you could say there were only supposed to be eight...but with my brother included...there were nine with the gene, those two years ago.

      Everybody had shifted. The entire Wolvenpraire community was anxious to know whose children were going to be gifted with the gene. You see, the line goes so far back, no one can really tell which Lyacon family they're descended from. That's why recently they've been trying to keep the bloodlines pure.

    So the Angelwolf gene wouldn't die.well, you see, that was a problem for my family. My brother and I were the ones gifted with the gene-but only one of us could use it.

    That's the way it worked. There could only be one child from the family gifted with the powers. What was worse, one of us were to be the alpha of The Angelwolf pack. My brother wanted that. He wanted the power-he wanted to be the alpha.

    So because I adored my older brother-he was only older by two minutes, by he was someone I came to look up to-brave,  and strong. I told Brustarios that I didn't mind if he took the power. I told him he could have it. I told him he could be alpha.

    Unfortunately, things weren't that easy. In order for him to get the power-in it's entirety, we would have had to merge our powers. Basically, on the night of our first shift the Angelwolf gene was going to decide which twin it should gift itself to.

    We had to fight each other. Whichever twin won-whichever twin was strongest-they would be the one who got the Angelwolf gene. I didn't really want to fight my brother...I was determined to let him just take the power from me.

     Unfortunately, he wanted more than that.

   Our first shift came on the night of a Crescent moon. We'd gone into the forest, to Deregu falls, where the moon would shine brightly on the water. It was where everyone had their first shift. We were alone. Nobody else was there with us.

     I didn't know how my brother felt, Peyton-but for my part, I was terrified. I was terrified of the pain that came with the first shift...and terrified of my brother. Recently, he'd been acting strangely. Meaner-colder, I guess. Very cold...and sometimes when he looked at me...sometimes I was sure that I saw...pure hatred.

    But I loved Brus, I loved him. I guess he never returned it. As soon as we'd been touched by the beams of the half-moon was when the shift begun. Pain. It was painful. Torture. Complete, nerve-wracking torture. Within minutes, we were screaming in exhaustion, Peyton-it felt like every single bone in my body was breaking and reconstructing itself-of course that was what was happening, I guessed.

      I wasn't sure how long it lasted...but I would have guessed  more than two hours. Brustarios was transformed into a ferocious black wolf, spiked and snarling. We were opposites completely. I was glowing white.

      I was so relieved that the pain was over, I was still exhausted, but I was happy. I was ready to celebrate...with my brother; but when I went to greet him, was when he attacked me.

   I was completely caught off-guard at his vicious hostility. So off-guard that it took me longer than it normally would have for me to react. I still didn't want to fight him...he was my brother. . .but at the rate he was going at...if I didn't defend myself, I was sure he was going to kill me.

     I'll  spare you the gory details Peyton, but even as we were fighting I was actutely aware of a subtle change still going on our bodies...still fighting and growing, and I knew that without a doubt it was the Angelwolf gene. We fought fiercely-me, I hated every, single. Minute.

    "Bruce!" I begged him, panting, "Why are you doing this?! Please! We can stop, we don't have to do this!" I begged, using the mindlink. What he sent back to me was pure and unadulterated rage. All I saw was red for the next few minutes, I was aware that I was bleeding, and at one point I actually thought I was going to die as my brother held me over the waterfall cliff.

    The same one you miraculously survived. He had my neck gripped inbetween his large jaws-and my blood dripping from his teeth. I pleaded with him again-for both our sakes-he only tightened his bite. Dangling at the edge of the cliff, was the exact moment I finally realised the truth: my twin brother didn't love me. He never did.

    I closed my eyes and was ready to prepare for imapct, when suddenly a warm change came over me. A powerful change. A renewed one. When my eyes snapped open again, they were golden-yellow, not emerald. I'd grown in size, and was able to overtake my brother.

The angelwolf gene had chosen me. Not Brus.

Still-I could never kill my brother.

    When we returned to Wolvenpraire the next morning, everyone was horrified at my brother's ability to hate. From that day on, he was banished. Sent away from Wolvenpraire, never to be seen or spoken of again. He was like the vampires-and who knows?

Maybe's with them all now."

   I was chilled to the bone by Raphael's story. I couldn't believe that he had survived all of that. Kindly, he let me have the bed that night, while he slept on the floor.

    Tears glistened in my eyes as I slept. It was so sad. Turning, I breathed in his musky smell, and tried to fall asleep. Despite everything, his story haunted me; and I couldn't escape the fact that Brustarios seemed coldly familiar to me. I felt like I had met him somewhere.

     Maybe I had dreamed about him? The sense of deja vu was startling. Still, just before I finally fell asleep after two p.m, the last thing I saw in my mind's eye was Raphael's face-

Except for his eyes.

They'd been replaced with demented black orbs...and a thrilling smirk, that could never be his.

********

A/N : Hi! Thanks for reading, I would love if you all voted for this chapter and fanned me if you liked it!

Xx,

-Tia/epicdreames/Bloom_witch101

Btws-itssss myyyy birthdaiiii:-) ;-)