.twenty four.

After Azula was so graciously dealt with when she and her war balloon approached the air temple ruins, the gaang was split up an forced to camp out.

"Cheers to y/n and Zuko, they were bad before, but they really came through for us today." Sokka exclaimed, lifting his Woden tea cup, making the others follow suit.

"You dont want any tea, y/n?" Zuko asked hopefully, having made the tea.

"Nope. No one makes tea like Iroh." She said softly, her stare still carelessly looking into the fire.

"We're camping out again I guess, just like old times." Aang laughed.

"Well if we're talking old times, you know y/n and I could probably chase you around a bit and try to kidnap Aang." Zuko joked. The group began to laugh, y/n chucking a little. She never even cared about the Avatar, just Zuko. Y/n stood up suddenly, stretching her arms.

"I'm gonna go take a walk. If things pop off, come find me." She said before leaving the circle.

"Well I could-" Zuko chimed in.

"Stay here. You could definitely stay here." She spat, not turning around.
________________

"How do I get her to know how I feel?" Zuko's deflated voice was muffled as y/n walked Sokka's tent. She stilled, moving back just beyond the illumination of the lantern inside to listen.

"Well have you told her that?" Sokka asked.

"Kind of, indirectly."

"And what did she say?"

".....that she hated me." Zuko sighed.

"Wow for a prince you don't have much luck with the ladies huh?" Sokka scoffed.

"Just help me out okay! You seem to be doing great with Suki." Zuko yelled, his voice getting quiet again.

"Well, just....talk to her. Pretend I'm y/n, what is it exactly you want to say?"

"Well I-"
_______

"I love you, y/n. More than I do anything else, I always have." Zuko sighed. He was seated at the edge of a cliff, y/n by his side. He was turned towards her, pouring his soul into his confession while she carelessly rested her head in her hand, lazily looking anywhere but him. It hurt a little, to know that he mean ever word her was saying but also know that she couldn't care less.

"And-and I know I hurt you, but... but now I'm different, for real this time. Just please..." Zuko was thrown off when her eyes shifted coldly to his, as if she was searching his soul.

"Do you even know what love is?" She asked, irritated.

"I-I know love is the way I used to pick fire lillies for you every morning.... I know love is the way you would pray to the spirits for me at night. I know love is the way you would sit upright for me so I could sleep in your lap when I was sick, even though you Haden's gotten much sleep either. Y/n I know love now." He mumbled.

Y/n sighed, turning back to the ocean far below the cliff.

"Just give me time..." Zuko's face lit up immediately.

"Thank yo-"

"That doesn't mean I want anything to do with you, so don't get excited. I just want to think things over. Now isn't the best time to be making big decisions anyway. We'll be up against the Fire Lord soon, that could be the end of me right there, so don't get your hopes up."

"You'll be fin-"

"Let's hope so." She said, getting up. Before she was completely out of earshot, she spoke again, not turning around.

"And you'll be the new Fire lord, so I'm sure they'll be lots of girls for you to court." She said before walking away.

But he didn't want any other girl, he wanted her.