Chapter 2

The blurring sound of my alarm pulls me out of peaceful sleep. I will myself past sleep deprivation as I groggily wipe my eyes of the lingering yearning to fall back to sleep. I stare lacklustre up at the celling, mind burdened by thoughts I did not wish to confront.  A full 10 minutes ticks by before I finally find the strength to jump out of bed and commence with my daily monotonous routine.

A short but fulfilling shower later, I rampage through my closet drawers in pursuit for what to wear. Just as any other day, I end up in a pair of black skinny jeans, graphic t-shirt and white converse sneakers. Simple and minimalistic, just how I like it. At least I still try convince myself of my capability to try something new, despite always settling on familiar territory. I do my best to tame my unruly curls in two moon buns as I make my way downstairs.

My nostrils fall under siege at the heavenly smell of pancakes before I even reach the scene of the crime.

“Good morning mom.”

I embrace her from behind, as she continues setting up the breakfast table. Somehow, she manages to get up every morning without fail to prepare breakfast for us.

“Good morning sweetheart. I made pancakes. Eat up. We don’t want you being late for school.”

She smiles warmly at me though worry shows in her chocolate orbs. I want to assure her that she has nothing to worry about and yet the words fail me.

“Good morning to my two favourite girls in the entire universe.”

Ben interrupts my train of thought as he joins us for breakfast shortly after, casting a lingering kiss upon my mother’s lips. A comfortable silence blankets the breakfast table as we eat peacefully, each lost in their own thought. I bid them goodbye just as I dash towards out the door towards my car.

                                                                               ***

I walk up the familiar hallways towards my locker, noting an unusual change in the normal atmosphere of a typical school day. A sense of excitement clings to the air as indistinguishable chatter invades my ears when I walk past groups of students gathered to reminisce on the previous day‘s events before the bell signalling the beginning of the school day sounds. I pay no mind to it all, my thoughts on troubles I wished to forget.

I am welcomed by the sight of my best friend just as I reach my destination. She leans against my locker, the sundress she has on effortlessly accentuating the petite frame of her body and her slim long legs. She peels her eyes from the flashing screen of her mobile device just as she notes my presence.

“What took you so long? I have been waiting for you, for what felt like a lifetime. I was even beginning to worry.”

“I’m fine, just had a rough night.”

“You can tell me all about that later. For now, I must brief you on tonight before class begins. The annual pack gala is tonight, and since we are now of age, we get to attend. There’s also a millennial after party so you know its about to be lit.”

“That’s tonight? No wonder everyone is in a buzz.”

“So, you are coming right?”

“I was actually…”

“Ah ah ah. That wasn’t a request. I’m not taking no for an answer so you can forget about trying to come up with an excuse to flake. I’ll come by your house afterschool. Later.”

She darts off, beaming at her supposed victory just as the bell rings, cutting off my protest before it could even find its voice.

The day comes to a swift end and soon I am driving down a familiar path towards my home. For some reason I cannot seem to shake the feeling that something is amiss. I spot a black BMW trailing a safe distance from me. Panic begins to set in at the possibility that someone might just be following me. I promptly switch lanes and end up taking a different route, adding 15 minutes to my commute. Upon further observation I concluded that I was under no eminent threat dismissing my paranoia.

When I arrive home, I am welcomed by an empty house. Still shaken, I make my way to my room, locking the door behind me. I plop on my bed, glad to be finally in the safety of the lavender walls of my room away from the outside world. Just as I am about to stream the latest episode of my favourite Netflix show, I hear commotion downstairs. Startled, I nearly knock my laptop off the bed. I wasn’t expecting mom or Ben to be back so soon and Sam had no key. I slowly advance, towards the kitchen, paranoia getting the best of me.  When I descend down the stairs, I am surprised to find mom and Samantha chatting up a storm.

“Hey honey. I bumped into Sam just outside. I’m glad you girls will be going to the event together. It always helps to have good company at these things.”

I sigh. I had hoped I could still worm my way out of this situation but seeing them now, excitement in their eyes and shopping bags in hand, I found myself slowly accepting defeat.

“Do I have to go to this thing. I think my time would be best spent sleeping. I’m sure Alpha Cole will pardon my absence.”

“I’m sorry honey. I can’t get you out of this one. It’s mandatory, more so since Bradley will soon be initiated for the Alpha position.”

My mother smiles apologetically at me, knowing well I’d rather be at home than surrounded by a crowd of people I didn’t know all that well.

“But I’m not even…”

“Come on. It will be fun. I promise to be by your side the entire night.”

Sam cuts me off before I can further object to going to the party

“Fine. I’ll go, if it will get you two off my back.”

I sigh in defeat knowing that there is no way of getting out of this one.

“Should I even ask how you somehow managed to go dress shopping when school ended just a little over an hour ago?”

“No, you shouldn’t. What you need to do is to get your fine self upstairs so we can get ready for the party. We don’t have much time. I have to figure out a way to tame that messy mane of yours and have your make up on point. I got my work cut out for me.”

Two excruciatingly long hours later, I look back at the reflection starring back at me in the mirror. I barely recognized the person staring back at me. The heavy bags under my eyes are now gone, effortlessly concealed with makeup. Though minimal, the makeup erased all traces of exhaustion from my face and as a result I looked more livelier than I actually felt. Even my previously untameable curls had a healthy bounce to the as they fell just past my bare shoulders. The gown draped over my slim frame accentuated every contour of my body highlighting features I would rather remain unnoticeable.

That’s how I ended up at a party I had intention of going to, clad in red dress that hugs my body like second skin, wearing shoes I could barely tolerate walking in.

The night promises to be quite…interesting.