16. NOTHING ELSE

16. NOTHING ELSE

"SO, YOU AND ELIJAH, HUH?" Henley questions, her eyes sparkling with curiosity

Aliyah sits with her right leg crossed over her left, trying not to let herself fade away from the conversation at hand considering there's nothing going on between the two.

"There's nothing going on between us," Aliyah shakes her head, her fingers trailing down the beer bottle, "We're just friends."

Paige slaps her friend's arm, "I told you."

But Henley ignores the woman beside her, "That's not what he thinks."

"Huh?" Aliyah chokes on air, "What are you talking about? We met like two weeks ago."

"Well, for the last two weeks, he's been coming to work with the biggest smile on his face and I can only assume it's because he was on the phone with you right before he walked in." Henley tells her, tilting the neck of the bottle towards Aliyah.

Honestly, Aliyah didn't know what to do with that information. They slept together ━ they can't take that back ━ but they did it for all the wrong reasons. And now that they're friends, it's like they're floating in limbo trying to find the side of the line that they want to remain.

They act like friends — they hold hands, they touch, they hang out, they run up their bills talking on the phone for God knows how long every day — but yet, Aliyah can’t stave away the feeling of shock that runs down her spine or the butterflies that seem to wrestle their way through, nipping at her stomach whenever he does something that she finds cute and/or charming.

Was this her subconscious letting her know that her heart wanted something else? And even if she wanted them to try — he was still fresh out of an eight year relationship.

She would be just what she was avoiding ━ a rebound.

So it’s with that one claim she lets them know her final response.

“We’re just friends. Nothing else.”

”