Chapter 36 : A Specter from The Past

DAVIS' WORDS never left my mind after that. I am scared. Very scared. And Davis, saying all those threats made it seem more real. But that promise he made, made me feel assured that he, Exene, and everyone else will protect the people they swore to protect. And I never had any qualms about it.

"What's the Duchess doing in the corner?"

I felt Luca's arm on my shoulder.

"Doesn't it get lonely here?" Levi said as he sat down beside me, pouring my empty glass with wine.

"Not at all. I am enjoying watching you enjoying yourselves." I said as I took a sip.

Luca stood in from of us and extended his hand. "You have to stand and join the dancing though to enjoy yourself better."

Levi joined him and extended his hand too.

"Would you give us this dance, milady?" Levi said as he bowed slightly. I rolled my eyes and gulped down the contents of my glass before I held both their hands and let them carry me into the crowd.

The music was slow but not too much. Just enough for the three us to enjoy dancing under the merry lights.

"Meet me tomorrow in the garden. I'll give you your presents there." I said.

"We'll not be receiving those poultice and ointments that smelled like shit, will we?" Luca made a face dahilan para hampasin ko siya braso.

"Those ointments cured your wound faster than any other medicine, St. Delphi."

"Do you know how many days I had to stop seeing women because I smelled like shit?"

We all chuckled at that. That's right. Just for tonight, I have to not think about it. Just for tonight, I want to laugh without any worries or targets behind my back.

I danced with the two of them for a few minutes until my feet hurts. But I didn't mind. I danced and danced with all my heart, hell, I think I'm drunk but I didn't care. I let all my worries fade with the music.

I didn't know what time is it when I decided to go inside. Somehow, the effect of alcohol is fading away too maybe because I danced too much.

The inside of the house is quieter than the outside. The only people scuttling around in the house are the maids--bringing food and drinks outside.

"Look who's having fun,"

I whirled to see Exene standing in the doorway, leaning by the door frame. Where did he come from? Why haven't I seen him outside? He probably recognized the question in my face. He pushed himself away from the door and walked towards me.

"I was away for a moment. Had some matters to deal with."

"I thought you were in your study. Ares said you'd be sulking because of what happened today," I mumbled the last sentence.

"I didn't hear the last bit. Sorry, what was that?" He was grinning.

"Nevermind. I have to go now. Good night, Your Grace." I said, giving him a sacharine smile. But even before I could walk away from him, he gripped my pulse and pulled me close to him.

"That's not fair. You danced with the St. Delphis and I don't even get the chance?"

"Well, you were away.."

"And now, I'm here," he put my hands on his shoulders. "I don't mind dancing with you all night." He put his hands on my waist.

"I don't mind because it's you," He pulled me close. I could feel my face getting hot.