♧ [V1 || Chapter 16] ♧

After getting to know Sir Klein a little more now, I've found out that he was a really fun person to banter with. He might look stern and cold on the outside but, he has no filter on his mouth and speaks to you honestly, regardless of your status. It's probably the reason why father took such a liking to him and made him the Head Captain of the Alcmene knights. Of course, it was also because he was one of the strongest knights in the kingdom. 

I even heard that father fought with the emperor because the emperor wanted to enlist him as an Imperial Knight while father wanted him to be part of the Alcmene knights. Eventually, father won because Sir Klein stated he didn't want the excessive work that came from being an Imperial Knight.

Unlike the other servants (except Marise), who pretends to be nice on the outside but, resents me on the inside, Sir Klein is very transparent with how he feels. I don't need to worry about him putting on a two-face act around me.

I remembered that last week, I tried to call Sir Klein by his first name, Dmitri. But instead of complying to my demands, he vehemently refused, saying that if Duke Alcmene heard that, father would chop off his head and then hang it on a spike in front of the manor for everyone to see. He then said that as revenge, he would come back as a ghost and haunt me for life.

I howled with laughter at how serious he actually was. Ever since then, I loosened up around him and treated him as a friend than my guard.

"Is that your divine spirit, my lady?" Sir Klein changed the subject. I pouted, pretending to be unhappy that ignored my self-compliment, but quickly placed a smile on my face when I looked at Nova.

"Yes, that's him," I pointed to the sleeping bird in my hands. He had a disgruntled face even as he slept but, hey, when he's quiet, I have to admit that he's really cute. I would gladly accept a sleeping Nova over an awakened Nova any day.

Thankfully, I had managed to convince Nova to join us on our trip. I mean, I wasn't about to get berated again if I brought back the wrong food so, I dragged his feathery ass with us so he could double check it for himself.

"He certainly seems.... high-maintenance," Sir Klein raised his eyebrows. Oh. I guess he heard about the reason why we're going to town in the first place.

I sighed, agreeing with his comment. I guess having three humans go all the way to town for one bird is something alright. If I knew that keeping a divine spirit would entail a lot more work than keeping a pet, I would have left him back in that garden. Probably.

But, I can't deny that having Nova by my side would help me out immensely in the future. So, before I could unravel Elijah's plans, I'll have to please Nova as much as I can.

As Sir Klein moved forward because the footman called for him, I shifted my focus somewhere else. The Alcmene manor was situated on top of a hill so the ride to town was a little long. From a distance, I could see the stretch of crowded buildings below us. Shops were lined side by side with a rivers and paved roads weaving in between them. All the way on the opposite side, I could see the royal palace sitting on top of a hill.

"Marise? Why don't we have our own land?" I asked suddenly to the maid beside me. Don't nobles usually have their own fief or territory to manage? At least, that's what I figured from the other novels I've heard. And yet, in this world, we're all living in the same area.

Marise tilted her head to the side in confusion.

"Didn't you learn about this in the academy, my lady?"

Oh crap! Did she? I wouldn't know since I have no prior memories from this body's owner. All my knowledge came from the novel.

"I— I must have forgotten about it because of my illness," I laughed it off nervously. I'm glad I made it clear when I first arrived that I didn't have all my memories with me.

"Ah! I see. That makes sense," she clapped her hands. 

"Anyways, the reason why the nobles in Amaranthea do not have their own land is because all of the citizens are required to live within the barrier. The barrier keeps any mid to high-level demons from entering the kingdom. The lower demons are dealt with by the mages that stays in the capital. In any case, it's dangerous to live outside so, a majority of Amaranthea's people lives inside here. Oh! But sometimes the holy mages goes out on campaigns to purge the demons outside so our territory gradually expands over the years"

"Campaigns hmm?"

I knew about the existence of the barrier from the novel but, again, I didn't dwell on it too much because it was only mentioned once or twice. The campaigns on the other hand, was what I was more familiar with. I know that after the selection ceremony, the three representatives are required to go on campaigns as a form of mana training before the ritual. However, the novel's Evangeline was incredibly useless and would often run to Malakai to help save her. I don't think there was a time when she defeated a demon solely through her own strength.

"Don't worry, my lady! The campaigns are far away from the kingdom so you wouldn't have to witness those awful purges," she gave an assuring smile. Marise must have thought my troubled face was because I was afraid of these campaigns.

Alas, my dear sweet Marise. This lady of yours will soon join those awful purges next year.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

A/N: Sorry! I know that some of the chapters vary in length but, I'm having trouble trying to cut it off at a good point :') Also yes, I do realise the romance is a little on the slow side but don't worry! It'll come up soon!