54 | rhythm of the night

| meliorism |
chapter fifty four
❝ dangerous liaisons ❞

| meliorism |chapter fifty four❝ dangerous liaisons ❞

҉  ҉  ҉ 

To find beauty, you have to look in common places, in the places where you wouldn't stay for long or wouldn't think twice about. Sometimes, to find beauty, was to find yourself. Even if the world was crumbling down right at your feet, there would always be something the war couldn't kill, the beauty your eyes could see.

It was a cloudy day, the breeze was cold, the sun was hiding, it felt heavy all around; but she thought it was a nice day.

Rhena had decided to stay in the garden, just sitting down watching the flowers as a newspaper was laid in front of her. She was still not working nor going to school, but she needed to do something. Cade and Damon had been giving her money for food and to pay the necessary bills, but she felt useless. That's why she was looking for something to do in town in the newspaper.

With pen in hand, she let her eyes wander off the paper for a few seconds, taking a deep breath. She had spent most of the night reading the rest of her aunt's journals, trying to find the meaning of the drawings and writing down all the foreign words in order to find a connection. But she couldn't just let her stuff lay around unprotected, so she had dispersed all the stuff throughout the house.

    It wasn't until she realized that she had been zoning out for some time that she blinked a couple of times, rubbing her eyes. She let out a sigh as she dropped the pen into the newspaper and laid down in the grass, looking up at the gray sky. She tilted her head, hoping for a storm to come and wash her away.

"Is this your idea of fun?"

    Rhena smiled lightly, still looking up at the sky "it gets better if you let the sounds take you away"

    He chuckled "I will have to try that someday"

    With a last look at the clouds, she sat up, wiping away her hair out of her face. She smiled at him, and when he extended his hand towards her, she took it, steading herself.

    "Hello, Rhena" Elijah smiled, she nodded at him "I came to see how you were doing"

    "I'm fine" she sighed, not wanting him to worry. She saw him carrying a bag, it looked heavy, seeing the straight lines poking out of it "thanks for asking"

    "See, I don't truly believe you" he motioned her to walk with him, and she did it without opposition. They sat down in the old couch they had, he set the bag on the floor, looking up to see her "You know, Rhena, it's okay not be okay all the time"

    "I want to" she mumbled, pursing her lips "I try to"

"Your trying, that's what matters" he put his hand on hers, giving her a smile "but I didn't came to make you sad, I came to fulfill my promise"