56 | world on fire

| meliorism |
chapter fifty six

| meliorism |chapter fifty six

҉  ҉  ҉ 

    The barricade in the door stayed there, pressed against the wooden door as a last resort of protection. Even though she didn't feel threatened in their facility, she still needed to take precautions, just because her father was one of them that didn't guarantee her security.

Rhena began to put away all the stuff she used to make the barricade and organized everything as before. She folded the blankets and cleaned a little bit before taking her bag.

With a last look around the studio and the frames that went back into happier days, she exited the place. An unexplainable feeling washed over her, it was pulling her in, not wanting to let go. But she didn't know what it meant, she wasn't that skilled or powerful to find out either.

Her eyes were down on the pavement, not looking at anyone. She feared that if she did, the moment of her last visit to somewhere like this would resurface, and that was the last thing she wanted. Instead, she walked silently to the main building, where they were preparing breakfast.

It was the middle of the day, where the sun was at its brightest and the wind was beginning to travel into their area. Like the day before, everyone seemed happy, content to live there. They were just like her, yet they seemed to be in control. Why couldn't she be like that? She was a little jealous.

    Once she arrived in the main room, she had already rehearsed her lines. Even if they invited her to stay again, she was going to decline. She wanted to go home, or what was left of it. The trip was a few hours away, and her goal was to arrive before sunsets.

    From the door she saw the four commanders, all chatting in rather discreet as other people sat around the table she previously was. She walked towards them, eyes on the shiny marble floor, and didn't look up until she was in front of them.

    "Rhena, glad you could join us" Rhys smiled at her, causing the conversation to end abruptly "hungry? We saved you a plate"

    "Actually, I'm...I think it's time for me to go home" she pursed her lips, looking at the man whose face fell a little at her words "thank you for welcoming me and for all your hospitality, I really appreciate it"

    "You're not staying anymore?" Leah furrowed her eyebrows, sharing a look with Ivan.

    "No, my, uh, family is a little worried so I best be home before nightfall" she smiled tightly, briefly looking at the woman "but thank you for everything, it was nice to meet you, and if I know something about my father I will contact you immediately"