chapter thirty-one

"What the hell happened here?" Rowyn said as they all searched around the ruins for any clue as to what may have occurred. Peter gave her hand a loving squeeze as they followed Edmund to a small boulder that rested on the ground near them.

"Catapults . . ." Edmund said, observing the rock. Rowyn's eyes widened as she moved closer to the rock and observed its positioning.

"This didn't just happen." She and Edmund looked at each other and then turned back towards the others. "Cair Paravel was attacked—when we left it made Cair Paravel vulnerable . . . but who would've attacked? When we left there was peace across all of Narnia."

Susan spoke up. "Maybe someone was working in secret, plotting against us, and then when we vanished they saw that as their go ahead."

Rowyn crossed her arms and looked around. "Maybe . . ." That was when she noticed a familiar area and asked Peter and Edmund to help her push a small concrete wall to the side. Her heart slammed against her chest when she saw the door that the wall had hidden. Peter worked with Edmund to break the door open and then he turned to start cutting off the end of his shirt. "What are you doing?" She questioned while sharing a confused, yet amused, look with Susan and Edmund.

"I don't suppose you have any matches, do you?" Peter said as he wrapped the material around a large stick.

Rowyn shook her head when she saw Edmund reaching for his flashlight and she pulled her cell phone out and turned on the flashlight. "You guys . . ." She shook her head and began the descent down the stairs.

"How does that produce light?" Edmund questioned with a dumbfounded expression.

Rowyn turned her head to glance at him before continuing down the stairs. "Shit, I don't fucking know, but it is extremely helpful."

"You might've mentioned that a bit sooner, Rowyn." Peter said from behind her. Rowyn just laughed as a response when they finally got to the end of the stairs. "I can't believe it . . . it's all still here." Peter smiled wide when they saw their royal chests all resting against the wall in front of their own statues.

Rowyn and Lucy rushed towards their chest and immediately opened them. Rowyn's heart fluttered at the sight of her wedding ring resting at the very top. She smiled wider and unclasped her oval locket from around her neck and slipped the ring on the chain as well before securing it back on her neck. The ring and locket fell just above her breasts.

"I was so tall." Lucy smiled, holding one of her old dresses to her chest.

Susan and Rowyn shared a smile and turned to the youngest girl. "Well, you were older then."

"As opposed to hundreds of years later . . . when you're younger." Edmund said with one of his old helmets on.

"Okay, Bobby Fischer." Rowyn chuckled at Edmund who gave her a confused glance which she just waved away. "He was a chess player . . . uh never mind." She turned back towards her chest and grabbed out her old sword. The blade began to glow softly when she grasped the handle.

"My horn!" Susan said with her bow and arrows in hand. "I must've left it on my saddle the day we went back." Rowyn and Susan shared a look before the sound of a blade being unsheathed made everyone turn towards Peter.

Rowyn smiled softly, leaning against her chest, as he observed his sword. "When Aslan bares his teeth, winter meets its death."

"And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again." Lucy finished with a sad tone. Everyone turned to her to see her eyes lined with silver. "Everyone we knew . . . Mr. Tumnus and the beavers . . . they're all gone." Rowyn couldn't ignore the heavy weight in her chest as she thought of the fawn and the beavers.